or Connect

Posts by ltcommander.data

Seeing that the latest rumours point to at least 2 different iPhone models coming, I think Apple will compromise. Apple will open up the basic iPhone to any carrier with a compatible network, but AT&T will continue to be the exclusive carrier for the high-end iPhone Pro. In exchange, AT&T could offer Apple deeply discounted data plans to complement a potential Apple Netbook/Tablet. It's probably in Apple's best interest to try to maintain as much exclusivity and control...
Is this the first time Apple has released security updates to developers for testing? I don't seem to remember that ever happening before, only OS point updates. Maybe Apple is taking security more seriously now. And there isn't a separate Security Update 2009-002 for Leopard because it should be integrated in 10.5.7. All previous OS point updates have included security updates, with them being released separately for the immediate predecessor OS.
So Apple might have intended to do 1TB and 2TB but dropped back at the last minute? It's too bad it wasn't like the iPod Shuffle, which I believe was the other way around and had it's capacity doubled at the last minute. 500GB is pretty limited nowadays especially with multiple computers, given the large size of HDDs in them. If 1TB and 1.5TB doesn't have enough internal differentiation, maybe they should have just gone with 750GB and 1.5TB.
Maybe the 5-megapixel camera is the new iSight for Macs. I wonder if anything will come of those patents they had to embed the camera inside the screen instead of just putting it on top.
I guess I was drawn in by Apple's talk of UB's supporting 4 architectures: 32-bit PPC, 64-bit PPC, x86, and x64.Well SSE4.1 or SSE4.2 of course couldn't be used as the default compilation option in 64-bit without by default excluding the many Merom based Macs.It's actually interesting that Apple's latest compiler for XCode is based on GCC4.2 which if I'm not mistaken doesn't support SSE4. It might not even support SSSE3. I believe Apple's version of GCC4.2 recognize SSSE3...
Really? That's pretty impressive. Will Apple be requiring all 64-bit drivers, plugins and extensions be compiled as Universal Binaries with a 32-bit code path as well for backwards compatibility? I think that would be wise otherwise you could have disappearing devices and preference planes when you switch between booting the 32-bit and 64-bit kernel which could be confusing and unintuitive. On a side note, I wonder if Apple is going to enable compiling to SSSE3 as the...
Do you mean it'll be flexible enough that you can reboot the OS and kernel in 32-bit or 64-bit mode for the same installation with just a restart? That would be amazing although I would guess keeping things coherent would be really difficult. While it would be nice, I'm not optimistic for switching between 32-bit and 64-bit to be so easy. I'm guessing Apple is providing 32-bit Snow Leopard so that people who have devices or drivers that aren't 64-bit ready or may never be...
Do printer drivers need to be 64-bit? Seeing the OS X always promotes the number of printers it supports out of the box, it'll be interesting to see the effort needed to move them all over to 64-bit.
Why would Apple want to use nVidia chipsets with mobile Nehalem chips? Both Clarksfield and Arrandale integrate the northbridge on chip and lack QPI links. They only have a low-bandwidth DMI link to connect a southbridge. I don't see what advantage nVidia's southbridge could have over Intel's southbridge when their feature-sets are pretty much standard anyways. If anything, Intel's southbridge for mobile Nehalem would probably be the first to adopt USB3.0 seeing that Intel...
http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/16640 Interestingly, despite Apple's closer ties with nVidia and AppleInsider's many articles on the Apple-nVidia relationship, it's ATI that seems to have come up with the first application for OpenCL. ATI has co-operated with Havok (owned by Intel) and gotten it hardware accelerated through OpenCL. Presumably this should allow Havok Physics acceleration on ATI, nVidia, Intel (no doubt Larrabee and maybe Westmere IGPs), PowerVR...