or Connect

Posts by ltcommander.data

Well, it's really unexpected that the iPhone would be the topic of a conference called iGames.
Hopefully Apple doesn't start sending cease and desist orders to all stores that claim to sell "Products" because it sounds too much like iProd. Just like they did for Podium versus iPod.
If I'm not mistaken FPGA's are a lot more expensive than a regular fixed function chip and are really only used for prototyping. It's unlikely that the iFPGA is going to be a real product, especially one that end users can reprogram. Maybe the iPod 2.2 and iPhone 2.1 are Nano designs based on current-gen technology, while the iPhone 3.1 and iPod 3.1 will be getting the hardware overhaul.
Those components are impressively small. I wonder if we have P.A. Semi to thank for it?I was thinking that maybe Apple should just incorporate a dock into the Mac Mini if people use it as a multimedia comp anyways. Might not be that elegant, but they could hide it behind a door.
Ars Technica did reviews on Parallels and Fusion and follow-up with a brief review of VirtualBox. They mainly looked at it from a functional perspective where I believe there conclusion is that it's usable as a basic virtualization solution, particularly if you are using XP. It doesn't have the features or the polish of commercial products though. But given that it's $0, it's still a great alternative for light Windows work or as an introduction to...
Parallels being faster is definitely a pleasant surprise since I'm pretty sure previous benchmarks showed that Fusion had better performance. Hopefully it'll encourage VMWare to keeping optimizing things. Personally, I prefer Fusion, because as other's mentioned it seems more stable. That makes sense considering VMWare's background is in corporate products, while Parallels seems more consumer focused. Another point though is that I'm guessing their tests were done as...
I agree that the new iMac lineup is generally well positioned relative to other all-in-ones. As an observation on the positioning of the various iMac models, it only costs $50 to upgrade the GT130 (rebranded 9600GSO rebranded 8800GS) to the HD4850 which should completely dominate the GT130. It's a very worthwhile upgrade. I don't know why Apple even bothers offering the GT130, since the small price difference means the GT130 has little value. If they are selling it to...
The headline news I got from this announcement? The Mac Pro no longer has a high-end GPU option. ATI has lowered the price of the 512MB HD4870 to $149. It's a mid-range GPU. The GT120 is a rebranded 9500GT which was a rebranded 8600GT. It retails for about $60 now. What's more Apple is charging $200 to upgrade from the GT120 to HD4870. The entire HD4870 is only worth $150 so Apple is making $100+ pure profit from a $150 GPU by charging the equivalent of $260 for it....
Lynnfield and Clarkfield's introduction has been slow and a Q4 2009 introduction and Sandy Bridge coming in H2 2010 means there isn't enough time to justify designing a 32nm shrink for mainstream quad core. 45nm dual cores were already cancelled in favour of 32nm versions for this reason. But, I quess Intel didn't do the same for Lynnfield and Clarkfield since they didn't want to delay further. Some quad core Clarkfield will probably fit the MacBook Pro, but it certainly...
Just to follow up, Gainestown is the Nehalem chip coming to dual processor Xeons and presumably the Mac Pro. It's basically a Bloomfield with both QPI links enabled. Arrandale and Clarksdale are 32nm shrinks of Nehalem based on the Westmere microarchitecture. H1 2010 should see Bloomfield Core i7 and Gainestown Xeon chips be replaced with a 6-core 12 thread Westmere derivative called Gulftown. Supposedly there won't be any further 32nm quad core chips to replace...