or Connect

Posts by ltcommander.data

It's doubtful that Apple will include SLI or Crossfire to combine 2 or more GPUs to output graphics since as others have pointed out, the benefit is mainly constrained to the Mac Pro and for games. For the MacBook Pro, some type of Hybrid SLI is inefficient anyways since the GPUs are different requiring even more overhead than normal SLI for load-balancing further reducing the benefits. Further SLI and Crossfire requires per game optimization to actually work, otherwise...
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. No offense to nVidia and Apple's judgement in partnering with them, but ATI's current generation graphics cards have the edge over nVidia's. I've said this many times, but nVidia's 8xxx and 9xxx and GT1xx (which is just renamed 9xxx cards) generation don't support 64-bit floats for GPGPU operation while ATI supports them in both their HD3xxx and HD4xxx generation cards. This is exacerbated by nVidia's inability to get the GT2xx series into...
I wonder what are the chances Safari 4.0 will be completed in time for 10.5.7. It'll know doubt be in Snow Leopard, but with the beta available already on so many existing platform's it's hardly a huge Snow Leopard differentiator. I agree that Leopard will likely hit 10.5.9. 10.5.7 will probably be out by April, 10.5.8 will be the next-gen iPhone update in June/July, while 10.5.9 will come out with Snow Leopard's first update 10.6.1 with some backporting and...
I think Tabs on Top could be problematic as it's currently implemented if it spreads to all other Apple apps. It just seems too cluttered and makes it more difficult to grab and move the entire window. The handle on the Tabs to move them around also looks like a resize control. Tabs on Top serves it's purpose saving space, but I'm not sure the trade-off in compacting everything together is worth it. Hopefully, like Leopard's dock and the transparent menu bar, it's a...
My point was never the inability to add a discrete GPU to any Nehalem or Westmere parts because as you noted they have integrated PCIe controllers. The AppleInsider article was concerned about nVidia IGPs on nVidia chipsets, and my point is that even if nVIdia got a license to produce chipsets for Nehalem, those chipsets aren't likely to have viable IGPs like the current 9400M IGP/chipset because the memory controller is no longer on the chipset and an external IGP will...
nVidia has now licensed SLI to work on Intel chipsets just like ATI has long done with Crossfire. So now Intel's chipsets have the advantage of being compatible with both SLI and Crossfire, while ATI and nVidia's chipsets only support their own technology.An IGP is not the same as a discrete GPU connecting through PCIe x4. As I understand things, as GPU process data they need a place to hold information to serve as inputs or to temporarily store their outputs before they...
Well that is the hope since DMI is to low-bandwidth to hang an IGP off of and QPI equipped CPUs aren't the right market for IGPs. The other option is to do like Sideport in the ATI 780G, 790G, and 790GX. Basically have an IGP with a small amount of dedicated memory, say 128MB, with the rest shared with system memory. Of course, by the time you start giving IGPs dedicated memory, you probably should consider whether you might as well go with a discrete GPU to avoid thermal...
Personally, I'd like to see the terms of the Intel-nVidia bus license. Intel's pre-Nehalem processors used an AGTL+ FSB while Nehalem uses either QPI or DMI bus links. I would think nVidia's previous bus license would have been for the FSB, which would mean Intel is right that the license wouldn't extend to QPI or DMI since those are obviously quite different. If nVidia's bus license was some blanket bus license for general x86 processors made by Intel, then nVidia would...
I should point out that the fundamental assumption of this article, that the Intel's Nehalem chips that Apple will use will have QPI to connect to nVidia IGPs, is most likely flawed. The current Nehalem processors out are Bloomfield cores (4 cores, 1 QPI, 3 channel memory) and are marketed under the Core i7 branding. It is intended as a high-end desktop chip and the chances of Apple using are extremely low, since Mac Pros use Xeon chips while iMacs use either mobile chips...
So I guess reports of Firewire's demise were greatly exaggerated. If the picture is real, there doesn't seem to be a physical redesign in size, shape or color. Which kind of makes you wonder what is taking them so long to release it. I'm guessing the configuration will be based on the White MacBook. Namely 2GHz Core 2 Duo on a 1066MHz FSB, with the 9400M but using 2GB DDR2 667 memory instead of DDR3. Although the 2GHz P7350 has actually been replaced with the 2.13GHz...