or Connect

Posts by ltcommander.data

I think Apple really should try to figure out a standardized file format and not have new formats for every version of iWork. People may have many different opinions on Office, but at least a .doc created in Word 2007 can be opened in Word 97. Yes .docx changes things, but realistically .doc is still the most popular format, principally because of the compatibility issue, and it's possible to update older versions as far back as Word 2000 to open, save, and edit .docx...
I've always wondered why Apple doesn't support Wireless USB? It seems like the perfect solution to complaints about never having enough USB ports, especially for the MacBook Air. I would think that since Wireless USB uses the same protocol as USB, you could just buy a standard transmitter for use with existing USB devices, like plugging an existing wired USB printer into a transmitter to talk wirelessly with a notebook. Since it uses the same USB protocol, it could...
I am supporting Apple's use of a dual core A9 Cortex based chip. A dual core iPhone seems like the next logical step coupled with a PowerVR SGX chip with OpenCL and Grand Central support. Probably 16GB and 32GB sizes with 256MB of RAM. Maybe dedicated VRAM for the SGX. I'm hoping for 802.11n support too. They'll probably also enable video recording support. I'm betting they'd keep the current 8GB iPhone 3G model on as a low cost model though at $149, and keep the current...
I wonder if they underclocked the 9400M in the White MacBook like in the MBA. The MBA underclocks and undervolts to save power and heat, but nVidia would no doubt offer a discount on lower clocked reject 9400M that couldn't make the higher bin of the other models, and it would definitely help Apple's margins at the $999 price point. With the 9400M in the White MacBook being memory starved with DDR2 667 a reduction in clock speed really wouldn't be noticeable anyways. On...
I really wish Apple had used the extra space in the 17" to put a USB port on the right/optical drive side of the case. The USB ports clumbed all on the left side are sometimes too close together for things like thumb drives.
Given my usage pattern, it's a reasonable compromise trading a replaceable 5 hour battery with a longer lasting non-replaceable 8 hour battery. It saves carrying a 2nd battery. As long as Apple's claims of 1000 cycle life up from 300 cycles is accurate, then I think it'll be okay in the long run. I guess the question is when will it show up in the rest of the product line? Although it does go backwards on the MacBook and 15.4" MacBook Pro's recent promotion of the easy...
That's my thought as well. Intel isn't ready yet with Xeon Nehalems so new Mac Pros aren't ready. It just makes more sense to do a dedicated Desktop Special Event for the Mac Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro than to break them up separately. This is especially true if they plan to physically redesign the Mac Mini and Mac Pro to bring them in line with the iMac/notebook unibody design to present a unified product line. They are also probably waiting for the rest of the LED Cinema...
So super-slim = super long battery life? Somehow the 2 don't exactly go hand in hand. I wonder what type of special sauce Apple's using. Or maybe it's really the same volume just flattened so it takes up the whole base of the laptop but is really thin.
Personally, I was always of the opinion that with Apple pulling out of Macworld, they may try to usurp the show by holding some type of Apple Special Event back at Apple HQ sometime during Macworld to launch the radical new product, which will of course be hosted by Jobs. Or is that too vindictive of Jobs?
I wonder if Apple's going to release a design refresh around that time? The MBA's design isn't old, but it could probably use a small refresh to bring it in line with the Unibody MBP and MB. Mainly the glass screen and black trim. Could probably release the MBA refresh at the same time as the Unibody 17" MBP is released to bring the entire notebook product line in sync.