or Connect

Posts by ltcommander.data

Hopefully Apple is careful with this. Getting things out earlier than expected is great and all, but really only works positively if it is full featured and stable. Beating Windows 7 to the gate solely for the PR bullet point isn't advantageous. I guess Apple will be working overtime over the Christmas holidays to complete all the features and have something like a release candidate ready for Macworld to distribute to developers.
http://developer.apple.com/graphicsi.../capabilities/ I don't know if Apple's drivers even have full OpenGL 2.1 support yet. I thought Leopard was advertised as having OpenGL 2.1 support, but that seems to only be the software renderer. The nVidia 8xxx series and ATI HD2xxx both of which are supposed to have hardware OpenGL 2.1 support (I guess OpenGL 3.0 now) are only listed as OpenGL 2.0. And the Intel IGPs which everyone was complaining about seem to be even more behind...
I guess this and the OS X EULA lawsuits go back to the core issue of whether you are required to sell to everyone or whether you can choose who you want to sell to. Personally I think distribution rights should still hold in this case. Apple doesn't have a monopoly in the smartphone market much less the whole cellphone market so it really isn't anti-competitive. I'm pretty sure there have been other phones with exclusivity arrangements too. It's a valid marketing tactic.
I thought nVidia's big CUDA push in games was hardware PhysX acceleration, trying to push the idea that the GPU can handle physics faster than a CPU. Granted the GPU may already be heavily loaded, but couldn't a developer take a small fps hit say 10% to offload some physics processing onto the GPU? Since the GPU does physics faster than a CPU, you'd probably free up a proportionally larger amount of CPU cycles for other things like a more advanced AI. It might be a...
I guess that's what WARP is for, to provide a DX10/DX10.1/DX11 compliant renderer completely in software. I believe WARP and DX11 is already out in beta in the latest DirectX SDK so developers can try it even if no DX11 hardware is available. From the reports that Intel's Core i7 can achieve higher fps in WARP than Intel's IGPs in hardware, it makes me wonder whether Intel should be proud or not.Wasn't it reported that Newell wanted Jobs to pay him $1 million to bring Half...
I was wondering how effective the clean-up was in OpenGL 3.0 from OpenGL 2.1? The way the tech news sites were reporting it, they made it seem like OpenGL 3.0 was supposed to be a clean break but in the end they only implemented a depreciation model and marked things as depreciated without removing them yet causing an uproar in the community. I wouldn't be surprised if OpenGL 3.0 was actually fairly well received and the news sites were just playing up some...
I have to agree. OpenGL had a great opportunity since it allows Windows XP users to unlock the DX10 features of their DX10 GPUs through OpenGL. I'm sure quiet a few developers would have been interested in making an OpenGL game so that DX10 features would be available to both XP and Vista users. However, I think OpenGL squandered it's opportunity since the delay in releasing OpenGL 3.0 and the further delay in Mt Evans which is supposed to add Geometry Shaders, means the...
Where do you get the information that ATI's hardware is not OpenCL compliant?http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...80&newsLang=enATI already has OpenCL running in their labs and plans to incorporate it in the Steam SDK for all currently supported Steam processors. What's more, ATI is providing tools for developers to switch from their own proprietary Brook+ language to OpenCL.http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38764/140/Which brings up the point that ATI has publicly...
Is the EFi-X really unstoppable? Couldn't Apple simply bring out an EFI update to all Macs that say adds some proprietary power management code that would obviously be optimized for Mac hardware and be critical to OS X functionality. That isn't necessarily malicious since it may make sense to place power management code at such a low level and may be useful during pre-boot and for Boot Camp, but EFi-X can't copy it without infringement. And Psystar computers presumably...
I don't think it'll be that easy. Like it or not DirectX is here to stay. And with GPGPU functionality built into DX11, when game developers write a DirectX game, which seems to be most of them, and make a DX11 code-path for graphics, they might as well just use DX11 for GPGPU since it's right there, likely has similar syntax, and likely has less compatibility/synchronization worries. OpenCL really aught to develop a strong userbase to take advantage of it's early release....