or Connect

Posts by ltcommander.data

I'm not sure how much of the iPhone's cost is from the flash memory, but given how those prices are falling a $99 iPhone isn't unlikely. I'm not sure they want to go that far though. If the iPhone is selling well at the $199 price point, they shouldn't rush to drop the price so low, because once you introduce a $99 iPhone, it'll be hard to raise the price again. The current iPhone 3G can be made so cheap because it's so similar to the original iPhone and so is using...
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...rd_report.htmlWell the rumors of a possible Macworld 2009 release were reported on AppleInsider itself. And Steve Jobs has said that he'd like to maintain a 12-18 month period between OS X releases. Now AppleInsider reports a mid-2009 date. I'm just wondering when that changed. In any case, given that many of the new features aren't fully implemented yet, a January 2009 launch is highly unlikely.
So Apple has publicly confirmed that they are having a mid-2009 release for Snow Leopard? The early assumptions were for a January 2009 Macworld launch which I always thought was too soon. I wonder if they'll release before WWDC 2009 so that development sessions will be available at WWDC or will they release a near-final build to developers at WWDC for a final round of testing and then ship in time for back-to-school. They probably want to get it in with a decent gap...
Based on your chart, AppleInsider seems like it's hoping for the 2.66GHz P8800 to be used in MacBook Pros. In truth though the 2.66GHz chip that we should be supporting is the 2.66GHz P9600 coming in Q1 2009. The 9xxx series all have 6MB of L2 cache while the 8xxx series all have 3MB L2 cache. Intel always does this where they introduce a fully equipped processor at a certain clock speed and come up with a cut down one a few months later at the same clock speed hoping...
In the tic-toc model does not necessitate that the new chip be introduced in server or high-end desktop. Intel has only started doing that because servers are where AMD is still competitive so Intel has decided to put pressure there first. The tic-toc model actually began with on notebooks with Yonah (Core Duo in marketing speak) which launched Intel's 65nm process and was used in the the first Intel Macs. What I'm saying is that since mobile Nehalem is coming so close to...
I wonder if the Airport Extreme Update-003 that was recently pulled will be incorporated.
Hopefully Apple will move to standardize on 25W TDP parts in the next refresh with 25W 2.53GHz and 2.66GHz processors on the 15". The 17" can use the 35W 2.8GHz model, while the 3.06GHz 35W part can be a BTO for both 15" and 17" MBP. From what I've heard, Apple appears to be using 35W parts for there current 2.53GHz models which is disappointing. May well be why some are seeing Apple's 5hr battery life claims, namely the low-end 15" MBP, while others aren't seeing it,...
Personally, if Apple can't make a decent profit in the Netbook market, which I believe is something PC makers are struggling with, then it isn't worthwhile to spend the effort in developing a Netbook. Besides, the iPod Touch is a decent entry into the Netbook market. It is actually priced lower than most netbooks, has more storage than many of them and is well suited for portable internet access. If Apple decides to release iWorks Touch or perhaps Microsoft develops an...
Seeing that all Intel iMacs to date seem to have used mobile Intel CPUs, unless Apple decides to switch to desktop CPUs, they won't be using the desktop versions of the Geforce 9400. I don't actually think that Apple will won't to sole source on nVidia. Even if they go with the mobile 9400M in the iMac they'll probably stick to ATI GPUs. nVidia was always quoting Apple's implementation of the 9400M to be different than what nVidia will be selling to other OEMs. And nVidia...
I believe that audio over DP is an optional part of the standard. So Apple could have designed mini-DP without audio support and still claim full compatibility.