or Connect

Posts by ltcommander.data

I has been reported that the speakers don't activate unless the USB is connected. It's probably USB audio.An official comment on whether mini-DP supports audio would be nice. That may well be the sacrifice they made to get the port size down.
The previous MacBooks also used a 800MHz FSB coupled with DDR2-667 memory rather than a 533MHz FSB and DDR2-533. In fact, I'm pretty sure no Intel Mac laptop has shipped with a 533MHz FSB or DDR2-533 memory.http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/...907170824.html I should point out that the advantage of smaller footprint with the nVidia chispet could have been achieved just as easily by staying with Montevina, since the GS45 variant with a small form factor ICH9M southbridge...
http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...on/systemreqs/Adobe's CS4 requirements list the presence of Firewire as a requirement on the PC side while it isn't listed on the Mac side since every recent Mac up to now except the Air has had Firewire. I guess they'll have to add a Firewire requirement for the Mac side as well. It's ironic that this MacBook refresh added better IGPs to better target the requirements for applications like Adobe CS4 with hardware acceleration, but...
It's still annoying since I don't think eSATA supports power. In that respect Firewire is more convenient, especially for portable hard drives rather than just external storage, since everything can be bus-powered requiring only a single cable.
I think the taped port looks like an eSATA port. It would explain the reduction in Firewire ports. If it is eSATA I hope they go with one of those hybrid eSATA/USB ports. That way they'll have 3 USB ports even in the 15" MBP.
I don't know if anyone has brought this up before but does anyone think Apple will incorporate Wireless USB? It seems a good way to make up for limited physical ports. And I believe the standard was pushed by Intel, so it seems a good way to make up to them if Apple went with nVidia chipsets. Apple was one of the first out of the gate and drove adoption for USB and 802.11b, so it seems fitting that they do the same for Wireless USB. And the lack of Firewire is...
I thought the Airport Extreme card has always been on a separate daughter card in the MBP so I don't see how the lack of change is noteworthy. It makes more sense to keep it separate anyways so that a defect Airport Extreme card can be swapped out without having to replace the whole motherboard. It probably reduces electrical interference and propagation too.
A 9600M GT would be kind of disappointing. It is an improvement over the 8600M GT, but really not that much considering the MBP already used the GDDR3 version and the 9600M GT still only has 32 Stream Processor, just clocked higher. I was hoping for a 9700M GT. Apple really should incorporate an ATI Mobility Radeon 4670. Especially with all this talk of OpenCL. Only ATI's HD3xxx and HD4xxx series and nVidia GT2xx series supports 64-bit double precision floats. nVidia's...
I don't think there is. And I don't think Apple really needs to support Core Duo Macs in Snow Leopard. 64-bit support isn't there. The other major features of Snow Leopard are Grand Central for improved threading, but Core Duos only have 2 cores and Jobs said that developers multithreading for 2 or 4 cores isn't that much of a problem but doing more than 4 cores is. So Grand Central is really targetted for scalability for more than 4 cores like in dual quad core Mac Pros...
I wonder how they are going to speed bump the CPUs in the iMacs with no internal changes given that the iMacs currently use a custom Santa Rosa chipset and custom mobile Penryns to support a 1066MHz FSB and DDR2 800 on the Santa Rosa chipset which is only officially qualified for 800Mhz FSB and DDR2 667 operation? It would make more sense and probably take less effort to just switch to the Montevina chipset and Montevina qualified Penryns for official 1066MHz FSB support...