or Connect

Posts by ltcommander.data

Why don't they also sue ATI and nVidia for limiting Crossfire and SLI to their own licensed hardware? Afterall, the graphics card drivers support all chipsets ("generic hardware" like their Apple claim), they just artificially lock SLI to nVidia chipsets and Crossfire to ATI and select Intel chipsets. And what about the XBox 360 and PS3. Ignoring the SPEs, the XBox 360's CPU is basically just three of PS3's PPE with the same instruction set. It's should be possible for...
This'll probably be released to coincide with iPhone 2.1 to better support whatever new features that will bring. Personally, I'm thinking that the graphics card drivers have seen a lot of work, which may explain why development on Gears of War, UT3, and CoD4 has been so quiet. They are probably waiting for 10.5.5 to be released.
With the new OpenGL 3.0 recently released, I wonder if Apple is going to add it to Leopard or just wait for Snow Leopard. From the Kronos Group press release, a significant number of GPUs already have the feature set to support OpenGL 3.0 so it doesn't seem to be a big change. Which I hear is quite controversial in itself, since OpenGL was supposed to be a complete rewrite.
Anyone know if the graphics drivers for Intel IGPs have been updated? Intel's IGPs may not be fast, but Apple's drivers for them really seem to be lacking. the GMA 950 supports OpenGL 1.4 while the GMA X3100 supports OpenGL 1.5 yet Apple's drivers are only written to give the GMAs OpenGL 1.2 support.http://developer.apple.com/graphicsi.../capabilities/ Also, I don't suppose there are driver hints on whether Apple's going to adopt the GMA X4500MHD and stick with Montevina?...
I wonder if this service allows you to stream directly from your computer to your iPhone or does it all have to go through Apple's servers. I like the convenience of cloud computing and things like MobileMe, but I'm still not convinced about having all my information being stored on a third-party. Although admittedly, ISPs can probably cache your data for later analysis if they wanted to too. Somehow "constant surveillance" of connection quality doesn't sound conducive of...
The whole point of Larrabee is the ability to take existing x86 code and be able to run it in a highly parallized vector fashion. The impediment to CUDA and similarly OpenCL is that porting is involved, while the hope of Larrabee is that existing x86 can just be recompiled for Larrabee with no major modification. Of course, we're not talking about common office programs. From Intel's SIGGRAPH paper, the target is HPC and numeric-intensive computing environments, where...
Does Larrabee even need OpenCL support? They are basically x86 cores so Grand Central should be able to manage them directly without having to go through OpenCL. Should be less overhead and translation.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...8&postcount=40 I guess my comments in the previous nVidia thread that nVidia's chipset silence is likely the result of redeployment of engineers to support the GPU department rather than a grand secret partnership with Apple was closer to the truth than I thought. And for people who think that Apple will license nVidia technologies and develop it further, what's the point? The reason nVidia is considering pulling back is that...
I believe the source is sarcasm.
I'm pretty sure no GPU maker directly makes the drivers used in OS X. I believe because of the tight integration with the OpenGL pipeline, Quartz Extreme, and the Core APIs, Apple develops all the graphics drivers themselves. GPU makers help of course, but it's mainly Apple. So if you want to blame someone blame Apple.