or Connect

Posts by tryd

I'm also a lossless guy - I rip all my CDs in ALAC. Not because I believe the sound is better than f. inst. 320 kbps AAC (I really cannot hear any difference), but because it seems silly to discard some of the information in the recording when harddisk space is so cheap.It is easy to transcode to lossy formats if you want to transfer the files to players with smaller disks.   I also think that the main deciding factor in the sound quality from these portable players is...
There is a change in quality at around 1:02. The sound gets duller, the bass is not as full and round and gets a bit distorted, and the guitar looses some of its spaciousness. The sound moves more center with less room around the instruments.This is on my Sennheiser HD800/Woo Audio WA-2.
There obviously is a difference in the quality of audio equipment. There is also a difference in the sound signature of different equipment - my STAX headphones are very analytical - you can hear every instrument very clearly - while my Sennheisers are very good at reproducing the ambience of the recording venue, while not being quite as analytical. I love them both, but they have different signatures. I also have a Krell amplifier which is very cold and clinical, while my...
I think it is best described like this : "If you believe there is a difference, then you will hear a difference." In other words - it depends more on what you believe than what you actually hear. The real problem with recorded sound these days is the mastering of the recordings. Recordings are mastered to sound fine on ordinary equipment, which means reducing the dynamic range and boosting the bass. This will sound fine on any player, iPod, iPhone, Pono - whatever.   I...
I don't see the problem. Real used a security hole in iOs to enable the iPod to play music from Real's store. Apple closed the hole, and as a result music from Real's store stopped working. There was a security hole in iOs, it would have been irresponsible of Apple not to close that hole.
First of all: The original of the statement comes from T.S. Elliot, not Picasso, even though Picasso quoted Elliot.The explanation is simple: Good artists copy - you make a copy of something without adding anything original to it. You need skill to copy it, for instance you need skill as a painter to copy a photograph, you need knowledge as a composer to write out a copy of a song you hear, but you just make a copy. You have to be a good artist, but you don't have to be...
Same here. I couldn't even find it because I had deselected Show iTunes purchases in the cloud (or whatever it is called in English). After I turned that on I could see it and download it.
If you are concerned about backups of your iOS device on iCloud, just keep your backups local to your computer.
Wouldn't that be a bit like CyberDog? A general container that had extended functionality through plug-ins. The obvious problem with this idea is that you would have to have all the plug-ins installed to see the contents of the document. Which is fine as long as you are the only one to use the document, and you only use it on one machine. What happens if you send that document to somebody that don't have the proper plug-ins installed? You could of course embed a read-only...
 My stereo doesn't have bass/midrange/treble controls. Input selector and volume only. It does not even have a balance control. None of these controls are necessary if the producer of the recording does his job properly. I have never heard a set of Beats, but from what I read they are definitely not something I would use. There are lots of very good alternatives. Sennheiser, AKG, STAX (but not for portables), HiFiman, Audio Technica, Grado, Beyerdynamic... Personally I...