or Connect

Posts by tryd

If this is all true, what can Apple do to keep its existing line attractive? For consumers their existing computers are good enough, but they are a bit pricey. I don't belong to the group that thinks that Macs are slow. I have a 17" iMac and a 667 TiBook and they are both more than fast enough for my uses (which is more or less typical consumer uses). I don't play a lot of games, but for the ones I play these machines are fast enough (not for hard-core gamers though). So...
AMD rumors are afoot again (MacBidouille). Now I don't for a second think that Apple will abandon PPC and go x86 (neither 32 nor 64 bit version). There are too many mines in the water that way. On top of that Jobs has said that they are not abandoning PPC and that PPC has a great future. As a CEO of a large company ha cannot say this and then change just a couple of months later. But: There were rumors of G5 (64 bit) processors from Motorola last spring and rumors said...
[quote]Originally posted by Amorph: Just out of idle curiosity, how does he - or anyone - know they're running OS X/x86 on an Athlon if the cases are welded shut? The About this Mac... dialog? If they're guessing because the machines have some serious go-fast in them, that could mean something else.
SO they tell somebody that they have AMD-chips in them and welds the cases shut to hide the innards from them. Maybe they AMD-story is a...
So they test a dual 1,25 GHz G4 with an app that does not use both processors (at least not well) and that does not use AltiVec. This effectively reduces the dual 1,25 GHz G4 to a single 1,25 GHz G3 system. And they find that a 3 GHz P4 system is almost twice as fast. Why am I not surprised? I'm more surprised that the difference wasn't bigger. They are not testing which system is best for video, they are testing which system runs AE better. At this moment that is a...
First they must deliver the existing models. In Norway the delivery date for the 17" iMac is around Oct. 6th. They cannot introduce new models before they can ship the old ones. Terje
[quote]Originally posted by MacJedai: First off, sorry for 'the book'. I see both sides to the Dual boot/MacX86 conversations, but one point that I see being missed (or not stated) is that in order for Mac to gain marketshare (even in schools), Apple has to regain corporate marketshare. The schools base alot of their aguements on what is used in the corporations. And face it, most corporations are 'married' to Wintel.
You are so right....
[quote]Originally posted by blabla: Car analogies sucks... End of discussion.
If you say so. But they are fun... [quote] Are you from Norway btw? I suspect you have been my professsor in a few subjects at NTNU.
Guilty as charged :-) Terje
[quote]Originally posted by Nevyn: [QB]The car analogy.
Another take on the car-analogy: The roads are data, the petrol is applications and the motor is the system. In this case I see the Mac as the car with a diesel engine: It can run on the same roads as the other cars (use the same data), but needs a different petrol (applications). The diesel engine has lower revolutions than the petrol engine (clock-speed), but higher torque (more work done on lower...
[quote]Originally posted by shannyla: Whatever, maybe, but when the platform's major developers are complaining at the World Wide Developers Conference... http://macintouch.com/wwdc2002top.html#speed ...that the speed (or lack of...) of MOSX is making them and their applications look bad, then I would suggest that the OS is in serious need of some fettling. The whole point of Unix OSs...