or Connect

Posts by plankton

After waiting almost 3 years for this, any rumour now feels like the "Free Beer Tomorrow" sign in a pub. Ship it already Apple even if the TV contracts won't be inked until 2016.
Here in Japan, we have an expression to describe cheap low-quality Chinese electronics that flood the backstreets of Akihabara—chugomi (Chinese rubbish). I hope Apple is not forced by volume requirements to switch to the lowest-cost Chinese parts suppliers, because it will come back to bite them in the arse. Now I'm glad my Apple Watch delivery is still late May!
This fashionista flogging is starting to give me VERY negative perceptions and could backfire on Apple. Pictures of arms dealers getting early releases is starting to gall, especially when the rest of us have to wait months even after placing pre-orders within 15 seconds of web orders going live. I smell a rotten Ahrendts' Apple in this type of advertising.
I'd like to see the keyboard and trackpad from the new MacBook as external accessories too. I'd buy the force trackpad immediately.
Although Apple's iTunes App store says Display Duet supports 5.1.1 on any iPad, the developer's website says iOS 6.  I tried to repurpose an old iPad 1,1 running 5.1.1 but the App crashed every time.  I got a note after 3 days from the developer that they are working on support for 5.1.1 in January but I went for an iTunes refund instead (nightmare of being on hold and cutoff). Now the price has risen to $14.99 I think I'll forget it altogether.
As always with OS updates, your mileage may vary, so to balance "the squeaky wheels" I must say I have had absolutely no Bluetooth, WiFi, or Mail issues with Yosemite, which has been been the least problematic release for me since 10.8. In fact, Bluetooth is a huge improvement over 10.9 because it allows me to use my Zik headset for text input, something that caused a stack crash in 10.9. I also find Yosemite to be much more responsive–and this is on a heavily hardware...
Added to this, there is no facility for inputting actual gas costs so the calculations are using local averages, which are way off if you buy discounted gas. Be aware that there is as yet NO real time data output display so you cannot read engine data while driving and have no idea about mpg, etc., from moment to moment. Real time data has been promised for almost a year but is a long time coming (vaporware?). The function to find where you left your parked car might be...
These new additions are (yet again) not available outside the US. Apple is and wants to be an international company and a large proportion of its cash hoard is held overseas too (meaning it came from international customers) but the Apple TV remains so resolutely US centric, it is practically useless outside the US. If iOS8 and Yosemite with Handoff and Continuity are planned to use the Apple TV as a major part of the ecosystem, Apple must up its Apple TV game outside...
Doesn't the fact that you had to research extensively before coming here to be able to get an MVNP SIM for data prove the point at how backwards Japan is in regards to Payn'Go?   I'd like to know which MVNPs in Japan are offering both voice and data without a contract—I only know of the BIC SIM and perhaps a B-mobile SIM and both require proof of residence, but I could be wrong as things are changing here. Yes, I stand corrected, there are now some MVNP data-only...
Japan has MNP and the iPhone is very popular here.  At the same time, there is real lack of price competition between the three carriers au, Softbank and DoCoMo even now after DoCoMo has joined the iPhone club.  This lack of price competition and flexibility is due to the LOCK that all carriers implement on their hardware even after the phone comes off contract after 26 months.  A few Android phones are "SIM-free" but most phones are not and all iPhones from carriers are...