or Connect

Posts by plankton

Added to this, there is no facility for inputting actual gas costs so the calculations are using local averages, which are way off if you buy discounted gas. Be aware that there is as yet NO real time data output display so you cannot read engine data while driving and have no idea about mpg, etc., from moment to moment. Real time data has been promised for almost a year but is a long time coming (vaporware?). The function to find where you left your parked car might be...
These new additions are (yet again) not available outside the US. Apple is and wants to be an international company and a large proportion of its cash hoard is held overseas too (meaning it came from international customers) but the Apple TV remains so resolutely US centric, it is practically useless outside the US. If iOS8 and Yosemite with Handoff and Continuity are planned to use the Apple TV as a major part of the ecosystem, Apple must up its Apple TV game outside...
Doesn't the fact that you had to research extensively before coming here to be able to get an MVNP SIM for data prove the point at how backwards Japan is in regards to Payn'Go?   I'd like to know which MVNPs in Japan are offering both voice and data without a contract—I only know of the BIC SIM and perhaps a B-mobile SIM and both require proof of residence, but I could be wrong as things are changing here. Yes, I stand corrected, there are now some MVNP data-only...
Japan has MNP and the iPhone is very popular here.  At the same time, there is real lack of price competition between the three carriers au, Softbank and DoCoMo even now after DoCoMo has joined the iPhone club.  This lack of price competition and flexibility is due to the LOCK that all carriers implement on their hardware even after the phone comes off contract after 26 months.  A few Android phones are "SIM-free" but most phones are not and all iPhones from carriers are...
Yep, and every one of those three carriers LOCKS the iPhone and keeps it locked even after it goes off-contract. It's a disgraceful ignoring of Japanese consumer rights and I think it continues like this because Japanese pols are in the pockets of Japanese mobile carriers—but what do I know after having lived here for just 30 years! Apple—you need to stick up for consumer rights in one of your key mobile markets.
Yes, but trying to get the Japanese government to do anything on its own initiative to protect consumers over business is like trying to get blood out of stone.What we need is to get the Japanese housewives' consumer federation on our side—they are a force to reckon with.
While I applaud Apple for embracing environmental policies, it falls down badly in one area and that is reuse/retasking of iPhones. Many old iPhones end up in landfill not because they are broken or useless but because they are locked to a carrier and cannot be easily given away to someone to use with another carrier or even sold S/H. A case in point, here in Japan where the iPhone is phenomenally popular and where people upgrade about every 18 months, all iPhones are...
In fact, you can buy an unlocked phone online from Apple Japan here for about 75,000 yen.  Apple Japan does not widely advertize this but then you face the problem of no payngo SIMs and very few MNVOs (two perhaps) none of whom offer payngo.  The MNVO SIM has to be purchased for a minimum 1-year contract using monthly credit card payments from a Japanese cc.   It is a locked-up market waiting for some serious disruption IMO.
As a SoftBank subscriber in Japan, what I take from this story is that however Son gained exclusive first rights to the iPhone in Japan, it enabled him to lock the iPhone and keep it locked even after au and DoCoMo joined the fray 3 years later. SoftBank users (and now au and DoCoMo) STILL CANNOT get a factory IMIEI unlock of their off-contract 3GS, 4, 4S and soon 5 units. We have paid our 2-year contracts but remain forever locked to SoftBank's not so great business...
As I see it, the problems for Apple TV in the WORLD markets are not hardware but content, content, and content. I have an ATV here in Tokyo but there is hardly any content worth watching on it; no Netflix, Hulu is local Japanese stuff of little interest, and most of the sport channels don't play. My major use is with Plex using the PlexConnect Trailers hijack and watching Plex channels. If Apple is going to "own" the TV market outside the US, it needs to think about how to...