or Connect

Posts by timgriff84

The fact is it has to be free. Office is primarily and enterprise product and paying for it yearly isn't anything new with 365. Eventually most of the people downloading and using this app won't be buying a personal subscription to 365 through the app. They will be activating the one they have from work. It's just a weird way of thinking about it. When I think of fermium apps I think of the ones that have swapped an initial price for buying the app to an in app purchase so...
I love the way the apps keep getting described as freemium. The subscription is for Office, not just the app. Its more a case that your buying a product that runs on Windows, Mac, Win Phone, iPhone, Android Phone, a browser and now iPad. You'd be a bit pissed if you had to pay extra for the iPad part. Calling it freemium makes it sound like all the apps pretending to be free and then charging to do anything useful. In this case the only way to get in on an iPad is via the...
App stores, dev tooling, back-end services, advertising, their own apps e.g. Office, cloud services (One Drive), Xbox Music etc. Basically getting people on your OS opens the possibility of revenue from other sources. In the early days of Windows they were basically giving that away for free compared to work manufacturers would otherwise be paying and that worked out well.  Cortana also learns things you like  and alerts you about events e.g. Your favourite sports teams...
It does follow the same set of releases as they did for iPad though. Outlook was released for iPad a few months prior to the new Office apps and this will be the same on Android. MS will likely release everything that make for iOS on Android too. It seems the one thing they've realised before anyone else is that software needs to be on all platforms and there doing with everything from Office and One Note to Xbox Music. Even Xbox Live is rumoured to be going cross platform...
Simple answer would be they started on the iOS version first as it existed first, and had a bigger market share first. Not like they developed this thing in the last couple of months. Android version will be here soon enough, MS's strategy across everything from Office to Music is to support every platform. A lot of people now buy an iOS app because there's a version for Android and vice versa.    As the article mentions dev environment it would be interesting to know if...
What would actually make this really interesting would be to know what revenues MS actually get from retail versions of office. After all this isn't revenues from small business or enterprise which would make up the majority of office revenue. You can only buy the regular basic public version from the app. It would also be good to know how it compares to a retailer selling it or a Pc manufacturer bundling it with a machine. What percentage do they normally take? 30% could...
Looking at my last receipt from Microsoft the VAT has been calculated at 15% which indicate Luxemburg. Interestingly when I get paid by Microsoft as an app developer they vary from paying me from Luxemburg and Ireland. I don't think the tax change will affect prices that much. Prices for apps ended up really low compared to regular software because a lot of it is developers building apps in their spare time who ultimately sell cheaply. The high level of competition also...
Bla bla bla, doesn't matter what way you spin it, Android is massive and out selling iOS in most of the world. I am far from an Android fan but its a fact. Its enabled cheap phones with a lot of functionality and that's what a lot of people want. People can point to profit levels and other comparisons but ultimately the guys at Google just want to ship more than Apple and Microsoft. I don't think they overly care how much profit they make. Once your passed a certain level...
I agree with this. I think Microsoft realized a few years ago that to win in the software market your products need to run anywhere. We've seen it with Xbox Music, sky drive, dev tool offerings, Azure even has Linux and Oracle offerings.Its now also my one big complaint with Apple. I don't want to use software that only runs on one vendors products. What if I want to switch? iCloud and Facetime are technologically great products which then become useless and irritating if...
Support? I beg you don't support anyone. Not Microsoft, Google. Facebook or even Apple. They all have great products and they all have awful products. Use and buy the products you think are the best, don't just use something because company X made it or exclude it because of company Y.To do so just means you've become another point on the marketeers chart of "creating fans rather than customers". Who really wins in that scenario? You or the marketing guy who's proved that...