or Connect

Posts by timgriff84

Not that big of a deal. Odd comment coming from a guy who's company has paid out a lot of money to keep the name Apple, and also a of money to use the name iPhone and also started using the name iPhone despite someone else owning the trademark for it. In both cases couldn't they have just "Changed the name" given that someone was always using it. Don't blame them for banning it, its in their culture to. No need to be rude and slightly hypocritical about it though.
Without any real knowledge of the specifics that make up the iPhone and what Nokia has patents for, you can't really call it one way or another. But given the amount of time Nokia has been in the industry, there's going to be a lot of things they have patents for, and its not like Apple could just check if there was a patent or not. Assumed standards could actually be paintented. Apple is also well known for getting involved in open source work so its easily feasible...
I have the complete opposite experiance. I have an iMac running vista, the vista half largely sorts itself out and will download all the updates in the background. Then when I shut down I get the option to install them then or just leave it (I have noticed though if I leave the machine turned on a lot of them appear to just get installed on their own). In contrast though on the mac half every time there's an update software update flashs up on the screen with it's icon...
Yeah you missed something. Windows is never going to have as faster boot time as a mac as it needs to contain support for huge combinations of hardware. But in comparison macs only need very limited support as Apple has dictated what goes into every mac. At the very least the mac will always have an advantage of a driver db that is microscopic in comparison. Another example of this I have seen is with more experimental os's that don't have any boot time due to the fact the...
An os designed for specific hardware starts up faster than one designed for anything what a shock that is. And apple software works better on a mac rather than there ports to windows where it generally isn't as good as other windows software. Yet another shock! This article really was a waste of time. The only test that actually compared the os was the time it wakes up from sleep and they performed the same!
The notion that the solution to selling Apples servers is as simple as something like the App Store is slightly disturbing. The app store is good because it provides one outlet to get iPhone apps. Server software on the other hand is entirely different often costly and follows major plans on what way to take your infrastructure. How something like an App Store can come into that I fail to see. The problem I'd say Apple has is you don't just buy a server for its OS...
Thanks, although that doesn't really answer it. Still seems that unless you manually set something up to back up all your data. The fact it is synced between your machine and the cloud rather than just existing on the cloud is irrelevant as if your data is deleted form the cloud when a sync happens it is likely just to delete it from you machine.
Is this article actually right about the Apple MobileMe things and how your data would be ok as you have it stored locally? I would have thought as it all Syncs though MobileMe, a loss of data on the MobileMe servers would mean as soon as your devices Sync with it again it would recognize the removal of data as a newer change and then remove it from your local copy. I've certainly had situations similar to this happen to me in the past when my Mac's lost all my contacts...
I see why Apple should be able to do whatever they want in this instance as it's there store and there isn't anything that says a store must sell a product. However it turns into a bit of an issue with the monopoly Apple's developing over online music sales. It's sort of like them using the fact that most people buy from them to be able to add an extra feature that's based on existing open technology and then demand there the only people that can product for it. At the...
Shame its only in the US and Canada, looks like it could actually be an app there's a point to unlike almost everything else on the App Store. Todays top 10 includes: - The Idiot Test - Snake and Ladder (I'm assuming by the title there's only one snake and ladder in the game) - Alarm Clock - Torch And yet more stuff thats completely pointless or just a miniature website turned into an app.