or Connect

Posts by timgriff84

Is this article actually right about the Apple MobileMe things and how your data would be ok as you have it stored locally? I would have thought as it all Syncs though MobileMe, a loss of data on the MobileMe servers would mean as soon as your devices Sync with it again it would recognize the removal of data as a newer change and then remove it from your local copy. I've certainly had situations similar to this happen to me in the past when my Mac's lost all my contacts...
I see why Apple should be able to do whatever they want in this instance as it's there store and there isn't anything that says a store must sell a product. However it turns into a bit of an issue with the monopoly Apple's developing over online music sales. It's sort of like them using the fact that most people buy from them to be able to add an extra feature that's based on existing open technology and then demand there the only people that can product for it. At the...
Shame its only in the US and Canada, looks like it could actually be an app there's a point to unlike almost everything else on the App Store. Todays top 10 includes: - The Idiot Test - Snake and Ladder (I'm assuming by the title there's only one snake and ladder in the game) - Alarm Clock - Torch And yet more stuff thats completely pointless or just a miniature website turned into an app.
Better avoid getting an iPhone or the latest version of OS X. They've already been infected with Exchange!
Hang on a minute how is QuickTime X native HTML5 playback? QuickTime's exactly the same idea as Flash. For something to actually be native HTML5 playback it has to be played by the browser in the same way as a jpg is displayed. Otherwise you could just end up with Flash, Quicktime, Windows Media Player and Silverlight all supporting H.264 and being capable of playing the video meaning it would be no different to how it has been for years. Also like a few people have...
Just out of interest why (serious question)? There seems a lot of talk about negative affects of this for Microsoft and Adobe. But what about Apple? Silverlight and Flash are both capable of running applications at the same level as any desktop app. Flash even installs as a runtime for desktop apps, and Silverlight uses the same language and libraries as a desktop app. If HTML5 is really good enough to replace Silverlight and Flash, doesn't that also mean its good enough...
I agree with you Peter the scope of Flash shouldn't be underestimated. By the same factor the scope of Silverlight shouldn't be underestimated. Although Microsoft don't seem to have realized it yet, while Window Mobile ain't great, Silverlight could be the perfect technology to power a phone. Being part of the .NET framework it would also mean there would also be plenty of developers ready to build apps irrespective of if there desktop or web developers as its all the...
Or how about IE8, just because older versions have security risks it doesn't change the security of the latest one. I was liking the article up until this point as it was seeming fairly unbiased and based on facts. Nothing changes the fact that there are parts of IE8 that are more secure than the others. For example IE8 will block certain cross site scripting attacks, whereas if you attempt the same attach on the others they've just left it up to the website to protect...
I just had a different thought. Is this better for developers or more of a headache. With phones like the iPhone growing in popularity and support for video in HTML 5 but no support for Flash or Sillverlight (more on Flash being an issue), what does a developer go for. At the moment its easy you just choose flash as its on over 90% of the PC's on the net. Adding flash video to a site is also relatively easy. Im far from an expert in flash and the other week it only took 3...
I like the idea of HTML 5 and can't wait for every browser to have it implemented, but the idea that it will replace Flash and Silverlight I think is a bit far fetched. First off, every browser has to render things exactly the same if its going to work. This on it's own seems a hard task, but even when they do someone at some point has to convince all the big multinational companies to spend millions upgrading their workers browsers. Second, the IT world moves faster...