or Connect

Posts by pmcd

The +/- part is important. At 2 you do not obtain a stable population. You get extinction ( this is basic branching theory and admittedly is a simple model but is surprisingly robust). The birth rates in most western countries iare closer to 1.6 which is very serious. Europe for example has a serious aging problem. There simply are no children relatively speaking. It's difficult to talk about the whole world when discussing population predictions. I am not up on the 11...
While it varies from country to country one of the most pressing problems in the Western world is in fact a low birth rate. The situation is actually quite critical with most countries headed towards extinction at an exponential rate. Of course you could try to counter that by massive increases in immigration but there aren't enough immigrants to go around and in any case the immigrants then typically adopt the ways of the country after a generation or two.Even China has a...
Thanks for the offer but I have been reading for quite some time.
Let's see, if we stop using carbon based power and technology slows what are the chances that you miss out on serious advancement towards realistic alternative power sources?
Where do you get that 99% figure? Moreover, let's be very careful when using the term scientist. You at least want to look at people published in serious peer reviewed journals relevant to the topic. I am not disputing the 99% figure. I just don't know what it means nor where it comes from. It is certainly a number that has been mentioned by many people.
The whole issue of climate change, CO2 emissions and consequences, global warming, etc ... is not as clear cut as people might want to think. Unfortunately the discussion has become a shouting fest between people with prepared cute answers. It is very political at this point. Those quoting science pick whatever article supports their side while ignoring articles which do not support their case. One thing is clear. Go read the serious article on climate through time and...
It may not be hard but I too find it a nuisance. I stopped watching live TV because of the ads. Programs are designed around them, even sports. At the very least they could show the ads before and after a video.
That may well be the case but users still can deal side to go elsewhere for their communications' fix. The iPhone is very nice but it's not as though there aren't acceptable alternatives. Where once we used Apple TV's now we don't. I am quite happy with my Amazon Fire Phone and I rather enjoy my Kindle HDX 7" even though I also have two iPad Airs and a Mini (Retina). I don't really miss the iDevices as much as I thought I would. My Mac Mini's are gathering dust and I quite...
That is just crazy. If Apple moved in that direction they would lose any user that still valued personal freedom. The more I think about it I suspect it's time to think about alternatives after more than 35 years of being an Apple user. I really don't feel as comfortable with either Apple as a company or, in fact, the general Apple user community. It has become a little crazy and not in a good way.
I wasn't focusing on the religious aspect, but in any case marriage far predates the 1600's even in many religions. As far as I know there has never been a society, until recently in Holland and now the U.S., that considered relations between men or between women as marriage. I have never understood why people want to have the same institution for both unions. While they have many aspects in common there are some very obvious ones which are different. However, given the...