or Connect

Posts by pmcd

Why do you need extra codecs? What is wrong with h.264? It scales nicely, is standard, etc... I can't see any reason at all to support xvid, dvix, wmv, etc....and mkv containers. Easy way? For goodness sakes, it takes 10 minutes. pmcd
The interface is not slow. Something must be wrong with your device. 1080p streaming is crazy at this point. Those people transferring Blu-ray 10gig+ movies will be the reason everyone gets capped. Almost noone has 50megabit access with unlimited data transfers and consequently I wouldn't bother with it if I were Apple. The XBox360 is a games' machine. Same for the PS3. They may be very nice, but I don't need a games' machine. If I had to choose one then I'd get a PS3 for...
Yes, I tried xbmc, boxee on both the ATV and the Mini. We don't get Hulu up here so I used a proxy for a while. It's not really my thing. Already have a good satellite system and the Hauppauge HD PVR. I really liked Plex on the Mini and it could pretty well play anything. Just not sure what happened to change my feelings about the Mini. It's still hooked up to the TV but I use it mainly for computer things (and the Hauppauge device). I realize the Apple TV is getting long...
I agree with some of your points, but as the ownedr of 3 of those competing HD media players I feel the Apple TV is years ahead in terms of GUI. 1080p is over-rated. Only the Blu-Ray crowd seem obsessed with it. No TV show is broadcast that way. It's not needed and is basically a bragging rights thing. You are hardly going to stream 1080p video over the internet, which rules out one reason for it from a rental point of view. Where do you expect to get the 1080p content? pmcd
The Mini is excellent but is almost 3 times the price and it's a computer. I love my Mini's but the ATV has taken over under the TV (along with some HD units) something I never thought I'd do. It wouldn't hurt if Apple had a remote keyboard with trackpad for the Mini. Having two devices to deal with the Mini is a pain, forcing you to go to some of the PC all in one keyboards which are never quite perfect.I will grant you that XBMC and Plex are excellent reasons to run a...
Have both ( 3 Mini's) and an ATV, O!Play, WDTV Live. The Apple TV is excellent. It needs an update but those who think it's a lemon just don't get it. pmcd
I don't deny that text has its place, but it can only convey a small spectrum of information. I think you'd have a very tricky time trying to convey the information in a musical piece using text. Similarly, text is not the ideal way to convey images and other geometrical objects. While its true that we search using text tools that is because we design the search tools to do that. The translation from a complex process to text leads to a great deal of loss of information....
To vinea: I suspect you would have a difficult time presenting a mathematical lecture using a typewriter/computer unless you were one of the top LaTex people on the planet. Try it sometime. I am not saying to get rid of language. I am simply saying there is more to communication and information than text. As for Excel. No doubt it is useful to many, but to call it advanced is redifing the term. MatLab, Mathemaica, R, etc...are advanced. Excel is convenience. ...
That's something many are unaware of. Once you graduate and want to use it, even to teach say, you have to pay the full price ( Home and Student editions don't cover teachers). Of course many places have site licenses but if you don't fall under that setup you want to be careful before locking yourself into software. This is, of course, the great appeal of open source software. pmcd
Interesting. What is this obsession with getting things into typewriter form? You are assuming that science will continue to stay in the background and that people will continue to work with minimal mathematical tools. It's a sad day when a simple matrix/spreadsheet is considered an advanced tool. The typewriter is simply not the right tool for intricate work nor is it the proper tool for scientific communication. There is no need to obsess with handwriting recognition to...