or Connect

Posts by pmcd

It's not just an e-book reader. In any case even if there were no iBooks' store available you would be able to buy epub books and read them. Apple has wisely adopted that standard and in Canada at least there are more books than you could ever hope to read available now. What you are worrying about has to do with distribution rights. The Kindle is sold in Canada. But, even though we buy our books from the kindle store in the US there are books that are not available in...
I have an HP2710p. Nice tablet ( not the same type as the iPad or the newer touch HP) and I really prefer nontouch screens for writing during lectures. But, HP is no Apple. I'll be getting an iPad the second it's available. philip
I see it as a replacement for both and will get one the moment it is out in Canada (and I just got a great Asus netbook with 8-10 hour battery life that I really like, am also a real Tablet (as in stylus) user). The iPad is going to change things in a big way, for me at least. philip
I agree that they do read. However, I don't think they read seriously on computer screens. Hard on the eyes, etc... It's much nicer on something like a Kindle but that has other problems ( even the DX model). It seems to me that people will glance through articles on a computer screen, print them and then read. There is room for a device to really advance reading and perhaps this is it. I just wonder about the eye strain, fragility of the device ( drop a paperback and...
The point of e-ink and the Kindle in particular is to read. This is difficult on reflective screens. It's hard on the eyes, etc... It's a bit why touch screen e-readers even with e-ink are not as comfortable on the eyes as a Kindle. When you read a paper book it doesn't shine back at you and that is just wonderful. It's what makes reading effortless. Reading books and articles on my current laptops/iPhone is unbearable unless it's for a very short period of time. There is...
Well you, not the average customer, said you wanted an easy way The average customer is not going to worry about multiple codecs anyway. They will use H.264 or WMV. Here's an alternative to Boxee/XBMC:1- get usb flask, put into mac2- downoad the ATV 3.0 OS (this is optional, but it's pretty nice)3- download atvusb-creator from google sw4- run 3 and use the dmg in 2 and don't select software menu, xbmc/Boxee5- shut off ATV. Put in flash drive. Turn on and when it tells...
Why do you need extra codecs? What is wrong with h.264? It scales nicely, is standard, etc... I can't see any reason at all to support xvid, dvix, wmv, etc....and mkv containers. Easy way? For goodness sakes, it takes 10 minutes. pmcd
The interface is not slow. Something must be wrong with your device. 1080p streaming is crazy at this point. Those people transferring Blu-ray 10gig+ movies will be the reason everyone gets capped. Almost noone has 50megabit access with unlimited data transfers and consequently I wouldn't bother with it if I were Apple. The XBox360 is a games' machine. Same for the PS3. They may be very nice, but I don't need a games' machine. If I had to choose one then I'd get a PS3 for...
Yes, I tried xbmc, boxee on both the ATV and the Mini. We don't get Hulu up here so I used a proxy for a while. It's not really my thing. Already have a good satellite system and the Hauppauge HD PVR. I really liked Plex on the Mini and it could pretty well play anything. Just not sure what happened to change my feelings about the Mini. It's still hooked up to the TV but I use it mainly for computer things (and the Hauppauge device). I realize the Apple TV is getting long...
I agree with some of your points, but as the ownedr of 3 of those competing HD media players I feel the Apple TV is years ahead in terms of GUI. 1080p is over-rated. Only the Blu-Ray crowd seem obsessed with it. No TV show is broadcast that way. It's not needed and is basically a bragging rights thing. You are hardly going to stream 1080p video over the internet, which rules out one reason for it from a rental point of view. Where do you expect to get the 1080p content? pmcd