or Connect

Posts by pmcd

Finally, someone with common sense. philip
A lot of things take time and effort. That doesn't mean financial return is the only motivation. True artists typically do not operate that way. philip
$500 for a 2 gig version with flexible video would certainly be more appealing. It would be even nicer to have a Mini without a DVD player and an internal power source (perhaps even battery powered). I'm not convinced that laptops require screens that are attached to qwerty keyboards. There is room for a portable Mini as long as the setup process is seamless.On the other hand if a Mac tablet were to come out then that would be a whole new ballgame. The whole current...
"Do you realize that 99% of those free software have a paid option, for better support or more features?" Perhaps for support. I highly doubt the 99% figure for more features. There are many quality applications that are free. There is nothing wrong in charging for work based on open source sw, although I do think a good supply of free sw will only help the hardware platform. On a (un)related note, I am a bit uneasy about our information exchange medium being based on...
The 3100 Intel graphics are essentially the same as the 950 and yet they were just put into updated MacBooks. I am not sure what you can expect in a small powerful Mini. The cpu is plenty fast and so they could add more ram,pre-n wifi, larger drive, perhaps e-sata (but I doubt that). Blu-Ray is not in the cards. So what exactly would a more powerful Mini be? The Mini is over-priced badly compared to the Asus Box. I have been using OSX since the start of NeXT and have 3...
This is not a good sign. There are plenty of good free apps. Have a look at LyX for example. One can only hope that the Mac doesn't return to the days of the early 90's... A trend towards taking Open Source sw and touching it up a bit and charging would not be good. philip
"But to know about seating distance, screen size, resolution, and more, go here: http://www.carltonbale.com/ The specific page for your questions on this, from his site, is here: http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/ " Very interesting. We have a 52" LCD and view it from about 12' (had a 55" RPTV before and the distance was the same - can't really change). I've always "complained" about being too far away. Have to keep a copy of these links ...
"A 1GHz Atom with 1 GB of memory will run XP just fine." I agree. I run it on my EEE PC with 512megs and it's just fine. In fact the cpu is generally doing nothing. I also run it on my Mac Mini using Fusion and it's perfect. I think the gamers and similar power users are having trouble seeing where the bottlenecks might be for most users. As for Vista, you can turn off a lot of the eye candy to make it run fine under Fusion/Parallels so I assume it would run on the EEE...
"If you can't see it, then something is wrong somewhere." Perhaps. It's not as though there are many sources for 1080p video. I have seen a PS3 game and movie which were supposed to be 1080p. The movie didn't look all that much better than movies on our HDTV TV stations (which are in 1080i). Maybe it depends on the video, TV, size of TV, distance from TV, etc... Heck, ordinary DVD's are "just" 480p and they look fine to me. I guess I am just not as discerning as some....
The Atom is fine for playback of video using XBMC for example. Same with the 950. Most computers are way overpowered for what people need. The gamers don't understand that they are really a small segment of the population. The professional video types can afford to pay for a Mac Pro or whatever. Integrated graphics and lower powered cpu's are just fine for the majority of video playback. The 1080p craze is just that. Almost noone can tell the difference between it and 720p...