or Connect

Posts by pmcd

"But to know about seating distance, screen size, resolution, and more, go here: http://www.carltonbale.com/ The specific page for your questions on this, from his site, is here: http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/ " Very interesting. We have a 52" LCD and view it from about 12' (had a 55" RPTV before and the distance was the same - can't really change). I've always "complained" about being too far away. Have to keep a copy of these links ...
"A 1GHz Atom with 1 GB of memory will run XP just fine." I agree. I run it on my EEE PC with 512megs and it's just fine. In fact the cpu is generally doing nothing. I also run it on my Mac Mini using Fusion and it's perfect. I think the gamers and similar power users are having trouble seeing where the bottlenecks might be for most users. As for Vista, you can turn off a lot of the eye candy to make it run fine under Fusion/Parallels so I assume it would run on the EEE...
"If you can't see it, then something is wrong somewhere." Perhaps. It's not as though there are many sources for 1080p video. I have seen a PS3 game and movie which were supposed to be 1080p. The movie didn't look all that much better than movies on our HDTV TV stations (which are in 1080i). Maybe it depends on the video, TV, size of TV, distance from TV, etc... Heck, ordinary DVD's are "just" 480p and they look fine to me. I guess I am just not as discerning as some....
The Atom is fine for playback of video using XBMC for example. Same with the 950. Most computers are way overpowered for what people need. The gamers don't understand that they are really a small segment of the population. The professional video types can afford to pay for a Mac Pro or whatever. Integrated graphics and lower powered cpu's are just fine for the majority of video playback. The 1080p craze is just that. Almost noone can tell the difference between it and 720p...
Thank's for the links. I like the idea that there is no DVD (seriously). The graphics remain the same as the Mac Mini which is ok for me. No remote/Bluetooth though. It uses 2.5" drives which is great. Those who want 3.5" are living in he past. It's very tempting, but I would still rather the Mac Mini. I assume Apple will have to lower the price, especially on a 2 gig version. I really like my Asus EEE PC. Got to admit that this EEE Box, if in fact that is the price, is...
It's not out, pricing is not out and it doesn't have the capabilities of the Mini. I have an EEE PC notebook. Neat, but you surely can't compare the Mini with the rumoured EEE Box. I do wish people would stop comparing their wishful pricing to pricing that is here now. The EEE PC was also rumoured to have a low price and that didn't happen. I'm not saying that the concept of the EEE Box is terrible. It will be interesting to see what its final form is. What OS, Bluetooth,...
I think gigabit ethernet pretty well makes up for FW800, but then again the audio folks could do with FW800. I have the Apple wireless+mouse working with a Mini connected to a computer display. The keyboard and mouse are excellent. On my Mini hooked up to our HDTV I use a wireless keyboard with a built in trackball. It works great (it's RF), but it's just not like Apple's keyboard. I really wish Apple would ship a wireless keyboard with a built in trackpad with touch...
Why would I buy an Apple TV in order to rent movies that I can already get via cable? Is there some advantage that isn't obvious? The video issues are different than audio. A 3 minute song costs very little to make yet yields just as much entertainment as a 1.5 hour movie. Then there's the buy versus rent problem. Do people want to view videos more than once? Certainly some shows would fall into that category. The reason the iPod has become so popular is that mp3 songs...
You can't compare the 3 areas that easily. They are very different geographically. This affected the way both automobiles and phones were sold. Typically, people in the UK used to, and I guess still do, pay for local calls based on the length of the calls. This was not the case in North America were distances are far greater. The effect was that the transition to cell phones was easier. In my case I still can't bring myself to get a cell phone. I got used to unlimited...
I don't know about that 50k number. In any case you do realize that NeXT was not allowed to sell models that might compete with Apple products. The Cube and NeXT Stations were sold to academics for whom they were bargains. The software alone made it worthwhile and certainly far more cost effective than Apple's "high-end" stuff running OS7. In all probabilty OpenStep ended up saving Apple. Not bad for a fantasy. The Cube was in fact upgradeable in the sense that one...