or Connect

Posts by pmcd

Monitors are pretty personal as well, yet ... I really liked my A1200. The Amiga was ahead of its time but hampered by PAL and NTSC restrictions. I guess one problem with having the keyboard include the computer is that getting the video to the HDTV would be a pain. You don't want wires all over the place, and unplugging, etc... It's the same problem laptops have, as well as iMac's. In fact the more I think about it the iPhone/iPod touch and Mac Mini are the only computer...
"Umm... while it's possible that a MacMini converted into an AppleTV form factor would result in a loss in processing power... it also could just be a different shaped MacMini with extra outputs. I'm not sure why that would make you switch away in that situation...?" Oh, no that would be fine. As long as I can run OSX from a wireless keyboard to whatever is hooked to a TV then I'm happy. I don't even care for an optical drive. A merging of the two (Apple TV and...
Here we go again. I guess if you keep predicting it then it will happen. If Apple were to replace the Mini by an AppleTV, say with an optical drive, there would be one more switcher in the world but not in the way we'd like to think of. Also, I just can't see Apple replacing it by something bigger like the Cube (Apple systems get smaller not bigger) and the Apple TV truly is a no go outside the US where a lot of its computer market is. So, Apple TV is useless...
"Another example of prophecies based on personal experiences. I don't think the future of computers is in the living room at all. I'd rather say the future of TV is in the computer and not vice versa. But because I'm not a prophet, I'd not want to make any predictions based on my personal preference." Well, of course my post is based on my own experiences. Did you expect me to go out and poll the population? Most statements involve a complex combination of...
I have one of my Mini's hooked up to a Sony HDTV and use a great little keyboard with an integrated trackball (it's made by nmediapc). It's wireless and very comfortable from a sofa/chair. I rarely go back to using my other systems which are connected to a Samsung 19" LCD. I do wish Apple would make a keyboard wit an integrated trackpad. It seems to me that the future is in portable small devices (iPhone, etc...) and small compact systems hooked up to large TV's . As HDTV...
"Macs/Apple never about gaming? Meheh. Whither the Apple II? Or the early days of the Mac?" Because the PC couldn't get its sound act together. It didn't take long for the Amiga to become the real game machine of the day. The GS was nice but hardly a speed demon! Early Mac's were black/white and hardly gaming systems. Just look how fast the Sierra's of the world left it. "Apple could rock the gaming world. It's just bizzare that they aren't." They make more money...
Apple makes more money selling iPod's, which fits in with their market philosophy, than getting into the tricky world of 3-D gaming. It's a subjective call but I think it's simply too late to join that world. Gaming, as is found on the PC, is hardly the exciting new world one might think. It's the past and Apple has to think of the future. I'm not saying that there is no money in gaming, but the current approach is realy well served by the PC and consoles. I'd rather see...
The Mac has rarely been a platform to game on and it never will be. There is no reason at this point to even try and keep up in the gaming arena. For the most part gaming has moved on to game consoles (xbox, ps(), etc...) so that a Mac user isn't really missing much. There is a minority segment of gamers who need the latest and greatest video. For this you need a more open hardware platform where you can add multiple graphics' cards, change motherboards, etc... This is...
That's a good question. It really depends on what one is doing. I can't imagine having a keyboard and a mouse and being comfortable, but I am very comfortable doing my work from the sofa with the nmediapc keyboard (with its integrated trackball). I suppose a keyboard with a trackpad (like the laptops) would also do just fine. I see people sitting around using laptops in all sorts of locations. In any case, it's really hard to beat browsing the web on HDTV with the Mini....
Hmm...well with the Mac Mini + HDTV you get that huge screen, 500 TV channels and the ability to do basic work (including browsing, e-mail, etc...) . I don't think 30 inches is big enough, but it's getting close and I suspect Apple must be thinking exactly along the lines you are suggesting. Perhaps in a year or so. Things are moving fast, HDTV's are going to change the issue of TV's and computers meshing (geez, even the Amiga lived its life as a system connected to TV's...