or Connect

Posts by pmcd

Not bad given the constraints they were under. Obviously NeXT did well enough to eventually take over Apple philip
The mini-tower would cause Apple to lose that cool factor and it's not worth the risk. In addition, the reason some people want mini-towers is so they can upgrade their systems. This just increases support costs. It's just not going to happen. If you want to play the build your own game the PC world is the place to do that. In fact it's a great hobby. I love doing it. Almost noone else does. People simply don't want to deal with upgrades. Even the idea of installing ram is...
"Again, I agree completely. I think the media center - a real media center - is the next big thing, and nobody has done it very well yet." Many people think recording when they think media centre. HDTV and the cable companies are making recording difficult. You basically can't record cable broadcast HDTV as they are copy protecting the streams. That gets rid of recording so what is the media centre supposed to do? philip
I had a Soltek Qbic which is similar to the Shuttles. The Shuttles are not cheap and, like the Qbic, have no class. There are small PC's which are classy but they are very expensive. Why on earth would Apple want to go back in time to a mid/tower or microATX form? It's never been them. They don't want people fiddling around with the hardware. It increases support costs which are higher than the hardware costs. philip
A Mac Mini is definitely the way to go for what you want to do. There is an inexpensive multiple HDMI box available at the Apple store if you need more HDMI ports. I have the Mini going to the TV and on a gigabit network with a Vista box and several Mac's. I use a wireless keyboard made by nmediapc which costs $45 and includes a neat trackball (small). Great range, works with osx, don't need to deal with a remote mouse and keyboard, etc.... I have a 500gig La Cie USB...
Monitors are pretty personal as well, yet ... I really liked my A1200. The Amiga was ahead of its time but hampered by PAL and NTSC restrictions. I guess one problem with having the keyboard include the computer is that getting the video to the HDTV would be a pain. You don't want wires all over the place, and unplugging, etc... It's the same problem laptops have, as well as iMac's. In fact the more I think about it the iPhone/iPod touch and Mac Mini are the only computer...
"Umm... while it's possible that a MacMini converted into an AppleTV form factor would result in a loss in processing power... it also could just be a different shaped MacMini with extra outputs. I'm not sure why that would make you switch away in that situation...?" Oh, no that would be fine. As long as I can run OSX from a wireless keyboard to whatever is hooked to a TV then I'm happy. I don't even care for an optical drive. A merging of the two (Apple TV and...
Here we go again. I guess if you keep predicting it then it will happen. If Apple were to replace the Mini by an AppleTV, say with an optical drive, there would be one more switcher in the world but not in the way we'd like to think of. Also, I just can't see Apple replacing it by something bigger like the Cube (Apple systems get smaller not bigger) and the Apple TV truly is a no go outside the US where a lot of its computer market is. So, Apple TV is useless...
"Another example of prophecies based on personal experiences. I don't think the future of computers is in the living room at all. I'd rather say the future of TV is in the computer and not vice versa. But because I'm not a prophet, I'd not want to make any predictions based on my personal preference." Well, of course my post is based on my own experiences. Did you expect me to go out and poll the population? Most statements involve a complex combination of...
I have one of my Mini's hooked up to a Sony HDTV and use a great little keyboard with an integrated trackball (it's made by nmediapc). It's wireless and very comfortable from a sofa/chair. I rarely go back to using my other systems which are connected to a Samsung 19" LCD. I do wish Apple would make a keyboard wit an integrated trackpad. It seems to me that the future is in portable small devices (iPhone, etc...) and small compact systems hooked up to large TV's . As HDTV...