or Connect

Posts by pmcd

Thank's for the links. I like the idea that there is no DVD (seriously). The graphics remain the same as the Mac Mini which is ok for me. No remote/Bluetooth though. It uses 2.5" drives which is great. Those who want 3.5" are living in he past. It's very tempting, but I would still rather the Mac Mini. I assume Apple will have to lower the price, especially on a 2 gig version. I really like my Asus EEE PC. Got to admit that this EEE Box, if in fact that is the price, is...
It's not out, pricing is not out and it doesn't have the capabilities of the Mini. I have an EEE PC notebook. Neat, but you surely can't compare the Mini with the rumoured EEE Box. I do wish people would stop comparing their wishful pricing to pricing that is here now. The EEE PC was also rumoured to have a low price and that didn't happen. I'm not saying that the concept of the EEE Box is terrible. It will be interesting to see what its final form is. What OS, Bluetooth,...
I think gigabit ethernet pretty well makes up for FW800, but then again the audio folks could do with FW800. I have the Apple wireless+mouse working with a Mini connected to a computer display. The keyboard and mouse are excellent. On my Mini hooked up to our HDTV I use a wireless keyboard with a built in trackball. It works great (it's RF), but it's just not like Apple's keyboard. I really wish Apple would ship a wireless keyboard with a built in trackpad with touch...
Why would I buy an Apple TV in order to rent movies that I can already get via cable? Is there some advantage that isn't obvious? The video issues are different than audio. A 3 minute song costs very little to make yet yields just as much entertainment as a 1.5 hour movie. Then there's the buy versus rent problem. Do people want to view videos more than once? Certainly some shows would fall into that category. The reason the iPod has become so popular is that mp3 songs...
You can't compare the 3 areas that easily. They are very different geographically. This affected the way both automobiles and phones were sold. Typically, people in the UK used to, and I guess still do, pay for local calls based on the length of the calls. This was not the case in North America were distances are far greater. The effect was that the transition to cell phones was easier. In my case I still can't bring myself to get a cell phone. I got used to unlimited...
I don't know about that 50k number. In any case you do realize that NeXT was not allowed to sell models that might compete with Apple products. The Cube and NeXT Stations were sold to academics for whom they were bargains. The software alone made it worthwhile and certainly far more cost effective than Apple's "high-end" stuff running OS7. In all probabilty OpenStep ended up saving Apple. Not bad for a fantasy. The Cube was in fact upgradeable in the sense that one...
Not bad given the constraints they were under. Obviously NeXT did well enough to eventually take over Apple philip
The mini-tower would cause Apple to lose that cool factor and it's not worth the risk. In addition, the reason some people want mini-towers is so they can upgrade their systems. This just increases support costs. It's just not going to happen. If you want to play the build your own game the PC world is the place to do that. In fact it's a great hobby. I love doing it. Almost noone else does. People simply don't want to deal with upgrades. Even the idea of installing ram is...
"Again, I agree completely. I think the media center - a real media center - is the next big thing, and nobody has done it very well yet." Many people think recording when they think media centre. HDTV and the cable companies are making recording difficult. You basically can't record cable broadcast HDTV as they are copy protecting the streams. That gets rid of recording so what is the media centre supposed to do? philip
I had a Soltek Qbic which is similar to the Shuttles. The Shuttles are not cheap and, like the Qbic, have no class. There are small PC's which are classy but they are very expensive. Why on earth would Apple want to go back in time to a mid/tower or microATX form? It's never been them. They don't want people fiddling around with the hardware. It increases support costs which are higher than the hardware costs. philip