or Connect

Posts by pmcd

minitowers. Reason: most computer users run Windows. They don't run Windows because Apple doesn't offer a minitower. philip
Montreal makes more sense given that Toronto has become almost exclusively a financial centre with its artists incapable of surviving in its overpriced housing market. I love Toronto and chose to live here over Montreal but it seems to me that Montreal simply has a more vibrant artistic and imaginative life. There's a good reason why tourists no longer come to Toronto... philip
That hole simply doesn't have enough people to climb into it. Years ago it may have... However, the days of people tinkering with computer hardware are basicallyover. There are a few of us left but one is better off with cheap standardized cases, parts, etc...for doing that sort of thing (that is, get a PC). From Apple's point of view having 4 USB 2 ports, 1 FireWire port, audio in/out is more than enough (thinking Mini here). The gamers who want the latest video cards...
I certainly agree with you. The Mini is wonderful and has so many uses. The iMac is certainly a beautiful system which is ideal for someone wanting to use computers in a traditional way. PC microATX type boxes have their uses especially when tinkering with cheap upgrades but Apple's current lineup makes a lot of sense: Mini, iMac, Pro, laptops. I really don't see too many gaps to be filled by traditional computers. Best to go to iPhone, iPod, etc... philip
I just bought my 2nd mini last Thursday (the 1.83GHz model). From my perspective the Mini is one of the best computers I have ever owned and I go back a long way from Apple// to NeXT Cube to most of the Mac's (including the G Cube and 20" iMac) and in addition I have always played with PC's and tried to get a small neat one (came close with a Soltek Qbic). I wanted a quiet computer that would fit under a 55" Sony HDTV and the Mini was it. There just aren't that many...
Something is wrong with your system. philip [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude: I'm going to take the iMac in to MacForce tomorrow when i go take in my keyboard. I can't believe these stories of the iMac not skipping while playing a DVD, mine skips like crazy.
Doesn't Apple sign longer term contracts for components? They aren't buying hay. This is a fiasco. philip [quote]Originally posted by ColorClassicG4: Get a grip, Matsu. Apple raised their prices because the price of LCD displays has gone up, and because the price of RAM has skyrocketed. It's called a profit margin. Apple is selling iMacs at a loss without the raised price. Because it now costs them more to make them. It's not an evil conspiracy to rip off...
Lot's of things are disappearing from the Canadian site. Educational pricing for example leads to a dead link. I suspect they removed it under pressure from retailers. Apple is behaving in a very strange way. The $100+ increase is ridiculous at this point in time, a 10gig iPod as a pricey toy, removing educational pricing from Apple Canada, etc... Sigh perhaps time to look at Windows again... philip [quote]Originally posted by murbot: Hey, you might have...
Of course OSX supports SCSI. Hard drives work fine, Jaz drives, CDRW (SCSI Yamaha) with the ElGato fix, etc...Vuescan does support scsi scanners in OSX. An example is the 1200S. Tape drives are largely scsi and OSX will have to support those. The SCSI driver in OSX is claimed to have bugs (by Roxio) so I assume it will be fixed. Oh, and both iTunes and Burner work fine with my Yamaha SCSI. Apple has to include SCSI support in OSX if only for OSX Server. philip ...