or Connect

Posts by pmcd

Apple, and in fact the computing world, has to somehow escape the Office jail. Business is addicted to Office.Unless someone breaks this addiction Microsoft will be able to direct the future of mobile computing by limiting the real Office to Windows phones, tablets and computers. Perhaps there is no escape from jail. Eventually, Microsoft will get the OS and hardware right and there will be quite a few Netscapes floating about.   philip
  Well we will have to wait until win8. Business and individuals are still addicted to Office, unfortunately. The best mobile Office will be on Windows phones, tablets and laptops. If Office remains as important as it currently is I would be worried were I Google and perhaps even Apple. The real danger is Office and the shackles that come with it. Until people wean themselves off that addiction nobody is safe. Don't forget how Netscape lost to IE, how the Mac lost to...
The whole Apple TV thing makes no sense at all, for now at least. They have no content, people do not want to use an iPad or even an iPhone as a controller and TV's are now at commodity prices. People will not pay double for an AppleTV. This has to be the craziest hobby one can think of. It's one think to tinker with $100 but quite another when it comes to $2000. The cable companies will not give up their monopolies that easily. Just look at the rumors surrounding access...
I doubt Apple need worry about Android. It's just one ugly mess. People may buy Android tablets based on low cost only to discard them. Windows8 tablets are a different thing. Unless something is done to wean business' obsession with Office, Microsoft could very well use that to gain a majority of the market. Unfortunately people are addicted to Word, Excel and Exchange. Office has largely been a destructive piece of software in the sense of playing a large part in...
It's not about hardware specs. Unless people get off their Office addiction Microsoft will have a huge market for a Windows tablet. The key to dealing with Microsoft is in dealing with Office to which businesses are addicted. Who would have thought that word processing and elementary matrix manipulation would hold everyone back. philip
Hmm ... unless things have really changed in the past month I think X11 is pretty important in the academic world. This seems like an odd move or perhaps Apple is giving up on that small group of users? It's far better for it to be part of the system. philip
Not at 3 years. philip
The days of being able to communicate with different networking pieces is not over. Google is basically a front man for the ad industry. Far more insidious than Microsoft has ever been. You don't want the basic UI and OS to be different from Samsung to HTC to company x. If required Microsoft can always design and farm out manufacturing the phones. You certainly don't want a free for all with telecommunications as to what works with what device. Microsoft has many things...
That just is not true. philip
Don't know about the conscience thing but a belief in Apple pulling out of South Korea is just crazy. philip