or Connect

Posts by pmcd

Because it is well integrated. I will grant you that Plex is a great program. XBMC and Boxee are competitors, especially Boxee. Why should I rely on that? You can run XBMC and Boxee on very inexpensive hardware. I am not sure you have thought through the implications of Apple not being serious about media playback. Do you feel they should stop selling the Mini? philip
I will. I can just see Boxee pushing forward with the Mac given that the Boxee Box is a competitor. Apple needs something more than apps that run better elsewhere. Front Row obviously has issues, but it is integrated and could be improved or replaced with something better. The Apple TV is not for everyone. Saying to use Boxee or XBMC or VLC is like telling someone the Mac has nothing special to offer. I suppose the remote would be the next thing to go? Mac Mini gone? I...
Most who dislike Front Row simply don't use it, don't know what it is or would rather run XBMC/VLC or some other media software which often runs better under Linux or Windows. Of course there is Plex which is Mac like but who knows what will happen with the LG connection it has. The Plex client still does not properly support new Minis ( and similar Mac's running the same graphics' chipset). Plex and XBMC do not support AFP. I hope Apple has something else in mind for...
That would certainly be neat. That technology is far more interesting than using an iPhone, Magic Trackpad, etc... You don't want to have to look at the device. Using your hands would be very appealing. There is definitely a problem with the controlling device and ATV apps. I don't think segmenting ATV users by having different bundled remote devices is wise. The market is already small. AirPlay is a step in the right direction. The Kodak Media Player and Wii have neat...
He's a very bright guy with an interesting perspective on things. Odd comment you've made. philip
I have an iPad and all kinds of Mac's. I also have an Acer H340 WHS which is great. Very nice little server. As far as a win7 tablet, I would certainly welcome that. The iPad is great but it does not really handle a stylus very well. Mind you, Penultimate is getting there. Windows Journal is a very good, simple tool for writing out mathematics and pdf Annotator is another very useful tablet program. There are pdf annotation apps on the iPad. Some are quite good, but the...
Does anyone even care? philip
It's a complicated issue. In principle 1080p at a suitable bitrate will look better. I don't see it on any of our TV's ( largest is 52"). In any case, in order to properly integrate the ATV with other iDevices and streaming and such 1080p isn't practical at this time. Maybe down the road, but the internet is already having trouble coping without having people moving 10gig files around just because they want to see a few extra grains of sand. If all you want if a standalone...
I have two of the new ATV's and a first generation ATV. I really like the new one but I think something must be wrong with your original ATV. I don't see a lag at all in in the menu. Are you running the latest OS? philip
Hardly. On my 52" HDTV I see no difference. People who want to shuffle around 12gig+ files on the internet are just creating problems for everyone. 720p allows for a great picture and a reasonable size. Just replace your 70" set with a smaller one or sit further back... philip