or Connect

Posts by pmcd

Does anyone even care? philip
It's a complicated issue. In principle 1080p at a suitable bitrate will look better. I don't see it on any of our TV's ( largest is 52"). In any case, in order to properly integrate the ATV with other iDevices and streaming and such 1080p isn't practical at this time. Maybe down the road, but the internet is already having trouble coping without having people moving 10gig files around just because they want to see a few extra grains of sand. If all you want if a standalone...
I have two of the new ATV's and a first generation ATV. I really like the new one but I think something must be wrong with your original ATV. I don't see a lag at all in in the menu. Are you running the latest OS? philip
Hardly. On my 52" HDTV I see no difference. People who want to shuffle around 12gig+ files on the internet are just creating problems for everyone. 720p allows for a great picture and a reasonable size. Just replace your 70" set with a smaller one or sit further back... philip
Not unreasonable, just not very likely. That's not where Apple is going. I have had Mini's for ages. These are great. No bricks, silent, hdmi, trivial setup, etc... The only complaint I have it the SD card slot. The location is ok, but you never know if it's in. A couple of times it caused a panic in the OS, and that never happens to my Minis. Apple has a pretty nice compute lineup now. They need to upgrade the higher end Macs, put more memory into the iPad and get rid of...
An iMac is not better if you want to use the Mini hooked up to an HDTV or if you want a server. The iMac is a great all in one computer. One of the best desktops. The trend over time might very well be towards things like the iPad, Mini to HDTV, laptop, iPhone. Desktops don't quite have the same appeal anymore to a lot of people. I wonder what this means for the Apple TV? Given that the Mini increased in price this leaves a lot of room for a very interesting product. philip
Users do care about the size, look, hdmi, no power brick, graphics, ... I've used a Mini attached to an HDTV for years. It's my main system. Great system. The new one is even better. Obviously you are not the type of user this machine is aimed for. To each his own. Can't wait to get one... philip
The reason for the VGA adapter is that almost all projectors use that video connection and the iPad is excellent for presentations. It would be nice to have the iPad have the ability to connect wirelessly to an adapter. The VGA wire is a pain. I agree with you regarding the complexity of home theater setups... philip
What would be the point of being able to run high profile h.264? You aren't going to stream that at this point and you can be certain that the Apple TV , or whatever it is called, will be a closed system not meant for running Blu-ray rips. The idea is to have a device to run legal media. philip
He can take a few more $'s from my taxes provided he has proof that he doesn't smoke, exercises, rides a bike to work, does not eat fast foods, avoids deserts, etc.... philip