or Connect

Posts by PB

Of course we are forced to upgrade. It is called evolution. Software and internet are not stationary, so we just don't have the luxury to not upgrade. The solution at this point is to keep an old machine around for the more or less frequent use of old software.
Cool. At least we have this.
I don't see what you mean. Running OS 9 on Intel machines is possible using Sheepshaver; do you have other ways?
This is not possible for applications that are cannot be updated anymore. The most common example is old games, and people that liked them are likely to play them for many years. Apple could certainly offer Rosetta as an optional installation under Lion but they chose not to.
Good for you, and for me since I did so years ago. "Safe files" looked always funny to me, to put it mildly, and I have never left a Mac I had access to, or any account on it, with this on. But does the security update turns this option off? Or it sitll leaves it on?
It is precisely an example of well-designed and executed social engineering. Nothing new in OS X or any operating system in this world. That's all.
Yes, there is; it is the Latin plural. Generally it is not accepted in English but this is sometimes a subject of debate.
Yes and it happened years ago as a proof of concept with an mp3 file. This was one of the reasons that pushed Apple to update Mac OS X so that it warns the user when something (s)he tries to open, usually downloaded from internet, contains executable and potentially malicious code. I don't know if it is easy or not to bypass this kind of protection. However, the open "safe files" option is still there in Safari activated by default. This is beyond logic today.
Apparently Apple thinks that people are so stupid, or that Mac OS X is so badly designed that, after initiating a download, which makes the download window to pop-up letting you see what are your options, no one or very few will think to click "reveal in Finder" on that window. Apple really is shooting its own foot with this one; there is no such thing as "safe file" before you open it and inspect it. It is absolutely ridiculous to categorize files downloaded from...
It is clearly not a virus. It is rogueware based purely on social engineering.