or Connect

Posts by PB

Yes and it happened years ago as a proof of concept with an mp3 file. This was one of the reasons that pushed Apple to update Mac OS X so that it warns the user when something (s)he tries to open, usually downloaded from internet, contains executable and potentially malicious code. I don't know if it is easy or not to bypass this kind of protection. However, the open "safe files" option is still there in Safari activated by default. This is beyond logic today.
Apparently Apple thinks that people are so stupid, or that Mac OS X is so badly designed that, after initiating a download, which makes the download window to pop-up letting you see what are your options, no one or very few will think to click "reveal in Finder" on that window. Apple really is shooting its own foot with this one; there is no such thing as "safe file" before you open it and inspect it. It is absolutely ridiculous to categorize files downloaded from...
It is clearly not a virus. It is rogueware based purely on social engineering.
I am afraid you are not alone in this. But all you can do at this point is to wait for the next update.
2011 iMacs: No SATA 6Gb/s, Yes to Multiple Drives.There is apparently a bug with it and this may explain why Apple left it out.
Certainly more expensive than in the US with some glaring exceptions like French cheese and wine, and fine quality Belgian chocolate and beer. But as I said, in the past Apple often tried to align the prices after updates according to currency balance. Of course, even then, the computers were still more expensive before considering tax but not as much as this time. Probably they are right, in the bigger scheme of things, to do so from their own perspective as a company in...
Not to me and to many people in Europe. Apple this time did not adjust prices to the new currency balance like they did many times in the past. Example: high end iMac, 27". It costs 2000 USD. In Belgium, without VAT it is 1570 euros. This makes today 2335 USD. Yep, $335 more to start with. Including tax the equivalent is 2825 USD. Tax is not Apple's fault but this time Apple has a share to this because the computer is overpriced from the beginning with respect to the USA...
Probably, but Apple has invented the new RAM: SSD. The prices are still very high and on top of that people often complain that there are third-party SSD's that perform much better. I am interested in iMacs and I will need one this year, but I am not going to pay 750 euros to have the option 2TB HD + 256 GB SSD. Yes, this is 1115 USD, almost the cost of a new entry-level iMac. And where this 750 euros comes from? The 2 TB option alone is 150 euros and the 256 GB SSD alone...
Guess what:
Although I cannot really disagree with what you said, how do you know that there is nothing "under the hood"? Personally I know nothing about it and I think we will have to wait for the release to find out more. A problem with not updating is that you are going to be left out in the cold from a system-update point of view. Apple generally offers software updates up to one major OS version back. I am still on Leopard and I get regularly security and software updates. But I...