or Connect

Posts by PB

Good one, well said! After the incident I had with their online tool checking if a machine has the Flashback infection, my trust to them dropped to levels below zero.
Interesting. Please tell us what happens in your case after you try it.
The Flashback infection relies on a Java vulnerability and has nothing to do with the installation of applications. You visit a web site and you get infected without any warning and without installing anything, simply because there is a hole in Java that will let remote instructions to pass through it without requiring admin rights. I don't see the connection with what Gatekeeper is designed to do; at least with what is made known so far to non-developers.
What I remember I did in the past, though it was at a time when I had just a few GB of personal data, was to copy my home directory (and eventually the Applications directory) to external hard drives and CD/DVD's, verify the integrity of the most important data in these back-ups, and then reinstall the OS by erasing the internal hard disk. Then I created a normal user (I avoid always the default admin user for everyday work) with the same name and password as before, and...
Pardon my ignorance but how a security system that controls only which applications are being installed on the Mac, would be able to prevent the Flashback, or similar, infection? I just don't see how is this possible.
Who knows? Apple officially dropped the "Mac" moniker and says already "OS X" for the operating system running on Macs. But I cannot pretend that I understand what drives their naming schemes.
Still trying to figure out what is this about.
    That phrase made me grin:   Stops all threats, even those designed for Windows.   They see that Mac users do not react to the calls to install anti-virus software. And as the Mac market share increases, they see it coming and they fear it: the Windows world will have one more front to deal with, that of malware patiently waiting in Macs the moment to attack. So in a desperate act, they give away anti-virus software for the Mac. Interesting.
    Ha ha, agreed on all counts. All one needs to do is to apply common sense while using the computer: have a non-admin account for everyday use (I am still wondering why Apple does not inform and guide the user to create such an account during the installation process), patch the system once security updates are available, be always suspicious when an unexpected request shows up, and do not forget that, for the time being, Java and Flash are the biggest security...
    The "security through obscurity" motto has been definitely debunked in the other discussion by the researches themselves who follow the malware evolution on the Mac platform:   "As we correctly predicted back in May, Mac malware has not scaled continuously due to market share, but rather, is more the result of opportunist "bubble economies" that have produced new threats in fits and starts," researchers said   What increased market share naturally does, is to increase...