or Connect

Posts by PB

Haha, cylinder only! Including the basic array of internal components of course.
These are my thoughts, more or less. But I wish an entry configuration at 1800-2000 euros (for the box only) be possible. The physical dimensions of this machine would allow it to serve the non-pro segment that has above average computing needs, if Apple decides to put inside somewhat slower components in order to keep the price under check.   With today's technology, this machine can be the mythical xMac for everyone and the high-performance Mac Pro in one package,...
Exactly my thoughts. What kind of survey could you have about an ... unknown produt?!
Not surprising. They have the highest level acrobatics tradition in this world.
Exactly. Also, Apple hired many years ago file system engineers and everyone thought that a new file system would come out soon. And guess what, it is still HFS Plus.
I see now that the new iMacs also have the image retention problem, like the retina MBPs. Is anyone here experiencing this?   What a bummer. Really. This kind of hardware problem is unacceptable and Apple says it is normal. I wanted a new iMac later in the year as a home machine, but if they don't solve this problem, I am not going to pay this amount of money. I fear that I may end up with a Windows machine, which I really hate to happen to me.
Well, it depends. If you keep your machines for many years, then the turbocharged high end model may be a better choice. This is what I do anyway and I have not regret it so far. Just don't buy RAM from Apple; there are other options for a fraction of the Apple price, especially if you intend to max it out.
Ha! You wish!   Nice review. It definitely gives a good idea about the routine usage of a recent iMac. I am planning to buy one the next update. By the way, is there any word about the next major OS X release? I remember something about yearly major updates or so for OS X.
By solving the image retention issue. I am surprised that no one mentioned it in this thread.   There is a HUGE discussion running in the Apple forums about it. I wanted too a retina model but I may very well end up with an Air one; unless Apple drastically addresses this problem which, for such a high-end and expensive machine intended for professional use, is very serious.
  Exactly. In my case, doubling the RAM resulted in ten times speed increase. I did not measure anything, just how it felt like judging from waiting time before and after the RAM upgrade for main routine tasks. Granted, this poor MBP is heavily used by the family and mostly by my daughter in her Facebook account: she scrolls down huge pages with hundreds of photos eating RAM for breakfast, she is doing work for school, editing her own photos, opening simultaneously many...