or Connect

Posts by wobegon

I was going to respond, but you've said what I was going to say, better.
So QuickLook is less useful because its windows employ white text on translucent black? How is this going to impact usability? How? This will be applied to contextual menus in the Dock and perhaps the Menu Bar and/or other menu items. You don't read contextual menus like you read a web page, text document, or PDF generally. What little impact inverting the colors of these menus will have on usability will be offset by their more HUD-like aesthetic that helps them...
White text on black menus went out of style? So QuickLook, CoverFlow, Stacks, Leopard's Dock's app labels, iPhoto's face labeler, and Time Machine's interface are all in poor taste as well? It's not like they're applying it to title bars (aside from QTX) or, god forbid, inverting text documents and web browsers.
Your Highlight Color setting wouldn't have an effect on contextual menus regardless, it's only for text. Your Appearance setting is the only one that would affect menus. Unfortunately that's as far as I can go because I don't have Snow Leopard. \ Anyone have an answer? I'd like to know too considering I generally prefer graphite, (though blue on translucent black looks pretty slick, I have to say).Yeah, hopefully Apple will put indicators on either side of the Finder's...
But this is just contextual menus, not the entire system. I don't see them swapping out Leopard's unified, subdued UI in favor of white text on black glass (aside from QTX, which is a special case), that would be very Vista/Windows Media Player 11ish. Yuck.I could see them potentially darkening the grey window title bars enough that white text could be used there as well, but that's about it (again, aside from the contextual menus, which may include the mother of all...
Windows 7's jump lists are black text on white, not platinum text on black:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...res/jump-listsWhat about the new contextual menus is 'overly translucent'? They don't appear any more or less translucent than Leopard's current menus.What makes white text on black any more arbitrary than black text on white?
Well to be fair, I hadn't seen those MacRumors images either. I just presumed the rest of the Dock's menus would have the same black-on-white aesthetic.And not to brag, but what feels like ions ago now, I sent a mockup to Apple through their Developer Connection (I'm not a developer by any stretch, but I submitted a Mac OS X widget, which gave me partial access) around the time Leopard's new UI was initially unveiled (before getting delayed past its original Spring...
Looks like more than just Stack menus:http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/10/...-enhancements/Looks like AI also got the slider wrong. Apparently the Finder's new slider has gone from Aqua to:http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/10/...-enhancements/
You're depressed by other people's...optimism? Who in this thread is clamoring for an entirely new UI? I see people suggesting that this change to the Dock's contextual menus may foreshadow other tweaks coming between now and whenever Snow Leopard ships in September (I would guess late September).Don't you think it'd look a little odd to have white-text-on-black contextual menus only in the Dock? How difficult would it be to similarly invert the color of the Menu Bar and...
The more competition the better, but it sounds as though Google Chrome OS and Android are going to be competing against each other.Anyway, it seems apparent that Google is setting itself up to be the new face of Linux and they're targeting netbooks, where Microsoft has been unable to go with Vista.Windows 7 is fundamentally the same OS as Vista, so it's going to have an interesting time competing with Google's FREE alternatives in the cheap netbook category, one of the...