or Connect

Posts by BeyondYourFrontDoor

Most of those are automotive names as well... you'd think they'd go for something new. The problem with Yosemite is people say it "Yos-might" if they don't know the work. Must be hard to come up with a global name that hasn't been used 100 times. Are they going with landmarks? Surfing hangouts? I would think national parks might have restrictions on using their names as well...
I don't understand it really... web-cam technology is nothing special... why not just build their own under the Nest label? People want integration, not 15 different brands all fighting for space. I just don't see the value in DropCam...
I had big hopes for Nest... it's Apple-like culture and organic growth... I imagined a whole Nest-controlled home in my future. Then Google came along... Coincidentally that was the same week Nest blew up their thermostat with an update. My Nest thermostat quit because it was drawing too much power to run... then, it started short-cycling my furnace which caused it to fail. It was -30 C and big, big problems. I emailed Nest, I called them - their responses were canned...
I don't think this is a specific Microsoft problem... for years the heavy-lifting of business intelligence has been moving away from the desktop. Sure, some businesses still play with Excel, but I'm the last few companies I worked at, SQL was the language you needed to speak. Creating views or stored procedures that fed various reporting tools, or entire data warehouses tuned just for reporting... realtime and no chance for spreadsheet errors. Now you can at various...
Why would I expect Apple to stop supporting Quicktime?  Yeah, I have been converting my clips using an automator action, but my original projects themselves are gone.  So, if I wanted to tweak them and reupload I can't.  Now I have 2 versions of iMovie but still can't work on my old movies... I switched to Apple to avoid crap like this... crap like iMovie going backwards, Numbers turning into a 1987 version of Lotus 1-2-3... etc etc...  I am a fanboy, but they better get...
Why would I expect Apple to stop supporting Quicktime?  Yeah, I have been converting my clips using an automator action, but my original projects themselves are gone.  So, if I wanted to tweak them and reupload I can't.  Now I have 2 versions of iMovie but still can't work on my old movies...   I switched to Apple to avoid crap like this... crap like iMovie going backwards, Numbers turning into a 1987 version of Lotus 1-2-3... etc etc...  I am a fanboy, but they better...
It still blew up my old iMovie clips and I haven't recovered from that...
I'm kind of tired of the endless rants that pose as 'news' here... Why did MS release Office for iOS? Because they are going to make money. Why did they change their focus? Because their previous focus wasn't working. It's not like Apple hasn't had it's share of issues between its great successes... that's business and that's life.
 I was a big Page and Numbers fan (never used Keynote) but the last iteration sucks so bad...  even my wife said WTF and she used to like Pages. I'd be willing to give it a try at least... perhaps it will get Apple back on track with a professional level spreadsheet and not 'Scratch pad for iOS' that Numbers has devolved into... especially the OSX versions...
Every link to anything on the Drobo home page is broken. I'm supposed to trust my data to these guys?