or Connect

Posts by BeyondYourFrontDoor

I think it's just the cultural shift as computers became common and the 'computer store' was no longer the domain of the geek... Or perhaps, the feeling of walking into a small computer shop became intimidating while you could not be afraid to be a dummy at Best Buy.  We used to have a store, aptly named 'Software Supermarket'... I worked there part-time as a high school geekender...  Anyway, I recall when we'd get 25 copies of 'Kings Quest' or 10 Amiga 500's in a...
I don't know it "can't compete" is the right reason... Apple products are somewhat notorious for being the same price everywhere. I think consumers have just shifted from supporting the local X-tech type of outfit to wanting the big, bright lights of the big box / Apple Store. They walk out with the same product, the same price, and the same support...
I'm still not sure why something that eliminates the whole CPU vs GPU hasn't been designed... I know OSX does some tricks in software to use GPU cycles, but why not a 196 core multi-purpose processor? I think we're approaching the threshold of usefulness... Doing 4000 fps on a 600dpi screen is no better than 60fps on a 300dpi screen...
My mail often seizes up and refuses to send or receive... I have to force quit it to revive it. It first went haywire when my mobile-me (iCloud) was full... so I deleted a lot of stuff, but it never seemed to work after that. However, that was coincident with Mavericks going live... so.... I dunno. I have to say, Apple is getting less and less like Apple...
Home Automation doesn't 'just work'... it is going to be full of low-margin junk from devices that are supposed to work together but don't. I have a Nest, it's good for what it does. I wouldn't spend billions to buy it and try turn it into yet another failed home-automation company.
The Nest thermostat (I have one) is a neat gadget. For simple installations, it does the job. It does not even touch on the area of whole-home integrated systems though, and if a new product every 2 years (like the smoke detector) is all they can do, it's going to stay a niche product. Someone needs to bring home automation/security into a more cohesive package... or else the specialized systems like Honeywell will continue to be the only reliable whole-home...
This seems a lot like MS Photosynth to me... which I think is a great concept. Wasn't MS trying to use it to crowd-source a composite 3D database made up of 2D images? Sort of like what this patent is? Hmmm....
I think the bottleneck at the high-end sort of deflates how awesome these workstations are. What I mean is... 10 years ago, each new generation of Intel processor or video card was often orders of magnitude faster than the previous. Now, we are at a point where we scoff at a 20% increase in performance - in which that 20% itself is 1000x the power of a 5 year old system. There isn't a point in arguing this... for something this small, with this much power - is just...
I have a simple heat-only natural gas furnace.  The dummies that ran the wire for the thermostat only ran 2 conductor, so I don't have the option of running the fan only which would be nice in the summer.  (I don't know if the Nest even lets a person do this).   Anyway, I bought it because it looks cool and my greenie relatives go "Ohhhh, cool, a Nest!". It's in a new house so I don't know if it is saving money or not.  My setup is low-tech, my house is new and...
Does anyone using a tablet or smart phone care about benchmarks? That's a PC way of thinking what a customer wants. I remember the old Norton benchmarks... that's back when chip speeds actually made noticeable jumps. Now, the latest iMac has a 3.5Ghz processor (and I am stuck at 3.4Ghz). Oh boy. I never pays to chase after the spec-hounds... they'll buy your gadget, then never pay another penny for software... they'll just hack away...