or Connect

Posts by BeyondYourFrontDoor

Home Automation doesn't 'just work'... it is going to be full of low-margin junk from devices that are supposed to work together but don't. I have a Nest, it's good for what it does. I wouldn't spend billions to buy it and try turn it into yet another failed home-automation company.
The Nest thermostat (I have one) is a neat gadget. For simple installations, it does the job. It does not even touch on the area of whole-home integrated systems though, and if a new product every 2 years (like the smoke detector) is all they can do, it's going to stay a niche product. Someone needs to bring home automation/security into a more cohesive package... or else the specialized systems like Honeywell will continue to be the only reliable whole-home...
This seems a lot like MS Photosynth to me... which I think is a great concept. Wasn't MS trying to use it to crowd-source a composite 3D database made up of 2D images? Sort of like what this patent is? Hmmm....
I think the bottleneck at the high-end sort of deflates how awesome these workstations are. What I mean is... 10 years ago, each new generation of Intel processor or video card was often orders of magnitude faster than the previous. Now, we are at a point where we scoff at a 20% increase in performance - in which that 20% itself is 1000x the power of a 5 year old system. There isn't a point in arguing this... for something this small, with this much power - is just...
I have a simple heat-only natural gas furnace.  The dummies that ran the wire for the thermostat only ran 2 conductor, so I don't have the option of running the fan only which would be nice in the summer.  (I don't know if the Nest even lets a person do this).   Anyway, I bought it because it looks cool and my greenie relatives go "Ohhhh, cool, a Nest!". It's in a new house so I don't know if it is saving money or not.  My setup is low-tech, my house is new and...
Does anyone using a tablet or smart phone care about benchmarks? That's a PC way of thinking what a customer wants. I remember the old Norton benchmarks... that's back when chip speeds actually made noticeable jumps. Now, the latest iMac has a 3.5Ghz processor (and I am stuck at 3.4Ghz). Oh boy. I never pays to chase after the spec-hounds... they'll buy your gadget, then never pay another penny for software... they'll just hack away...
After all the hype of Microsoft aiming the surface as a 'professional tablet' and slamming the iPad, it seems odd to now use the MacBook Air as a comparison. Is the Surface a tablet or not? I think not... it's a laptop that doesn't come with a keyboard and can't be used on your lap...
So, Americans are ripping of Americans? Maybe someone should invade you to liberate you from your oppressive regime. It's not like 'taxpayers' are carrying this load... everyone in Sillycone Valley is living the high-life on these tech giants... and those people pay taxes and buy stuff.
Oh I called... a lot...  the options were to deliver it to an 'Apple store' myself, or courier it to another authorized shop (Simply Computing or London Drugs are some of the options for me).  Given the risk of some kid screwing up my screen doing the swap, I was lucky enough that it stayed alive until I could take it to Apple.   They were freakishly busy, and in hindsight sending it to a smaller shop might have been better... they never addressed the issue of...
My drive started throwing bad sectors (lots of them) and I spend $$$ on Drive Genuis to repair it (spare bad blocks)... it just kept getting worse.  Ran my # and it said it wasn't eligible.  I am far from an Apple store, so finally made it this summer and got it replaced under Apple care.  Now, if I run my #, it is in the covered group.   I have mixed feelings on this issue...  in Canada especially, it is a huge issue to locate an actual Apple-authorized repair shop...