or Connect

Posts by BeyondYourFrontDoor

I thought they were going to be using WebOS to drive their printers and such? I guess that is going out the window as well?
I am sad.
There was/is lots of competition... the problem with most of them was they based their business model on 'free' music. Somehow, this didn't work as a business model. What Apple did was break the world into the concept of micro-transcations... .99 cents for a song, a few bucks for a movie... when the world was screaming for Napster, Limewire and the like to remain free. Now, they make billions on apps, songs, and music - and ya, they take their cut, but everyone else...
A revolutionary design choice would be to ban all gas-powered cars and have the capacity to generate it's own electricity on-site. Run the whole building and charge plug-ins with solar, hydrogen, or something else new. Can you imagine a $0 cost facility and the competitive edge it would give Apple?
The curved tube was a structural issue... creating flat tubes required the use of thicker glass, which at the time they didn't have the capacity to make. When the larger tube flat screens came out, many had front glass over 2 inches thick. My 'old' Sony 32 weighed 220lbs... and the centre of gravity was maybe 2 inches from the front... telling me the majority of that TV's weight was the front glass. The curve of the old tube is to withstand the vacuum forces... not to...
I have the patent for the word "slavish" , so please remove it from your article. Bwah!
I'm tired of donating $100 a year for 'upgrades' that don't really do much more, are no faster, don't fix any of the old bugs... etc etc.... For these types of incremental updates, I'd pay $25 to stay up to date. $80 for PS Elements is no deal... once it hits retail it will have at least that big a rebate sticker on the box. Oh well...
Cool! A laptop without a hinge between the keyboard and screen. Rule 1 when demoing a touch-screen interface... use the touch-screen interface...
I'm not sure the 'surge in demand' is the right phrase to use. Imagine how many iPads you'd sell for $99... but Apple would be taken to court for lost-leading if they did that...
There's never been room for 3 real competitors in the desktop world... I don't know if the mobile world is any different. There just always seems to be that odd 3rd step-child that never gets any traction... whether it is 'better' or not. Eventually, Apple will license iOS... when the margins in the hardware are too tight, and the App Store is making billions on its own.