or Connect

Posts by DanaCameron

I know that Mac OS and iOS have the same origins and are both built on UNIX. I was referring to the user experience (e.g., GUI, increasing use of gestures, etc.), not their technical specs (i.e., software libraries and such). Yes, underneath the GUI, iOS and Mac OS are very similar; implying that they weren't wasn't my intention. I was attempting to point out that how they behave (i.e., how people use them) is becoming even less dissimilar. That, and how that may be...
Apple's hardware lines used to run different OSes, but Mac OS X Lion and iOS 5 seem to represent a convergence as has never been seen. The closer Mac OS X and iOS come to becoming a single, unified OS, the less need there is, from an OS standpoint, to stagger the various hardware releases. This could be part of Apple's motivation for reworking its product release schedule.
Just checked Apple's support pages. Some people are definitely having a few issues with iOS 4.3.x. One user said a clean install on his iPhone 4 solved his problems. If my little quirks continue, I may give that a try.
iOS 4.3.1 doesn't seem to have affected the weaker WiFi signal reading on my iPhone 4. Upon waking, it frequently shows 3G briefly before indicating it's connected to my home WiFi network, and then the indicator fluctuates between two and three bars. The Time Capsule base station is roughly 40 feet away and an AirPort Express is downstairs extending the network (almost directly below the iPhone 4, about 15 feet away). The strange indicator behavior is definitely a recent...
I'm glad to hear you mention this, as I thought I was having some WiFi issues related to my Time Capsule. I've noticed some reduced WiFi bars on my iPhone 4 as you've described as well, though the signal never fully dropped out. I'll see if this update fixes it.
Cool. Updating now.
I had a friend who rejected everything Apple to the point she even refused to go the the Apple Movie Trailers website! She eventually bought into the Apple ecosystem with an iPod touch a couple years ago. Last week she bought a barely-used first generation iPad. Now I have trouble reaching her on the phone because she's glued to her new tablet. Another friend is in IT. Never had anything nice to say about anything Apple (unless it was about his wife's AAPL stock of...
Jha's statement is the flip side of the famous Alan Kay line that Steve Jobs sewn into the very heart of Apple at the beginning: “People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.” It's fascinated me that more tech companies haven't followed that philosophy over the years rather than taking the Microsoft approach.I'll assume that "Android enthusiasts commenting on the news" are tech geeks and not average consumers with Android devices who...
This isn't about "government control"! It's about a common-sense request to not enable would-be criminals to circumvent the law in a way that poses an obvious, and proven, threat to public safety. These Senators didn't bring legal action against Apple, Google, and RIM to remove the apps (the 1st Amendment grants and protects the existence of these apps… that's not the argument!); they sent a letter requesting the apps be removed because their availability is irresponsible...
The Senators are correct in that such tools shouldn't be available as a matter of public safety. Honestly, I'm surprised to learn of the existence of such apps and appalled Apple ever approved them in the first place. I hope Apple quickly follows RiM's lead and removes them from the App Store.