or Connect

Posts by focher

I fundamentally disagree. Google Wallet has moved the mass collection of data from data sets only available to the individual retailers to a "total data set" that Google is attempting to have about all purchasing. It's absolutely terrible. Even if you trust Google, it's a single source of all information. That's essentially a terrible situation.
Used it at Whole Foods last night. It was so simple I wasn't sure it had even worked ... But was then surprised that I still had to sign for the purchase.
That appears to be what Cook was addressing, that iPad buyers have longer upgrade cycles. If you use the first time buyers numbers that he cited (50%, even 70% in some markets) that means there's a lot of new consumers to iPad coming into the cycle. Once that cycle starts to hit, we'll see where that segment will go. It might be flat, it might be another growth engine. Anecdotally, I purchased an iPad 1 / 2 / 3 / Air. I won't be upgrading this cycle. If I had something...
While that claim is obviously exaggerated, the real question is exactly how is the PC market going to ever come out of its current structure? Everything is a race to the bottom, and none of the established vendors have been able to deliver a product to market that entices consumers to pay a premium. When it comes to profit, the PC wars may very well be over. 
Worked fine for me. Dropbox app had updated in the background and, after setting a passcode in the app, the "Turn on TouchID" toggle appeared in the same Passcode settings screen.   I did find a small bug. If you have TouchID enabled and attempt to authorize a 3rd party app to use Dropbox, the TouchID screen pops up. Using your fingerprint, the app then crashed before going to the "allow" page. Canceling the TouchID window allows you to enter the Dropbox passcode you've...
Ordered. Upgraded to the faster CPU and GPU, but always do aftermarket upgrade on the memory.
It's just as likely that Apple will release Yosemite on Thursday as not. The time difference between GM v3 / Public Beta doesn't likely drive that at all. They can patch up to Thursday morning and still release quickly because of the digital distribution model. Pretty much all the regression testing is going to be scripted on a mature platform like OS X. And it's not like Apple doesn't release OS X versions without a quick 10.x.1 release.
If he's against it, that's good enough to convince me...that Apple and Google are doing the right thing.   We're less than 15 years since 9/11 and just the government abuses we know about are appalling. One can only imagine how bad they really act.
This is how Apple leverages the capital investments it makes in production lines. Expanding the use of that machinery to its other product lines - iPad, MacBooks, and possibly even iMacs - makes total sense from a financial point of view, plus it's something consumers will like.
I have a 5S on T-Mobile and have been using the iOS beta with WiFi calling. It works fine for both incoming and outgoing calls with the caveat that it seems to drop calls when moving from a WiFi to cellular. I haven't been disciplined in testing that so I can't say if it consistently happens or only periodically. What I can say is that when my wife and I end up on a call together and both are on T-Mobile's LTE network or she is and I'm on WiFi, the HD Voice quality is...