or Connect

Posts by focher

I'm fine with the lawsuit being tossed. However, Siri really is not particularly reliable in comprehension in various situations, even for contexts it supports.
Hate to tell you, but we still have the documented history of monopolies in the pre-Sherman Antitrust Act days. It's ludicrous to suggest that the "invisible hand" of consumer purchasing habits are sufficient by themselves to prevent monopolies from occurring in many industries. Your use of T-Mobile is also not appropriate for your point, as there's no evidence whatsoever that they are struggling in the market. The reason they are attractive is because they remain small...
This merger isn't gonna happen.
I agree it carries weight. It makes many of us want to have Apple do the opposite. Why? Because Icahn wants Apple to do whatever maximizes his share value. I want Apple to do what's best to create and sell great products. Why? Because when they do this it ensures the long term maximization of the share value. Icahn misses a step in the middle. He's never been interested in that step. That's why he's nothing more than leech. 
 There is such a fundamental flaw in that reasoning. An investor's direct interest is in maximizing the share value. Running a company in the optimum way does not equate directly to share value, which is defined by people guessing what the share value should be. To run a company based on an investor's direct interest is totally flawed and a terrible practice. Some of us choose to invest in companies that are optimally run, but don't assume that the immediate share value...
 Lucky for the rest of us that actually do care about Apple's long term plans, the vote is non-binding. So it's not gonna happen. Most likely, the board is going to continue a stock buyback program on top of the currently authorized one. But I fully trust they have the most information to know when and how much is appropriate. The idea that the Carl Icahn's in the world should be interfering in anything within Apple is ludicrous to many of us.
Yeah, thanks Carl for reminding me to just vote....NO!   When I see an investor's rate of return, I wonder exactly what the true cost was. Companies going under or becoming non-competitive in their markets. People losing their jobs. Great for people like Icahn, but they leave a rather dismal state of things behind them.
I have my account set so that every dividend issue goes right back into buying more Apple shares.
I have no idea about the merits of UW's patent, but I don't think they can be labeled as "waiting 18 years" when the A7 just came out a few months ago.
Universities regularly profit by licensing technologies their employees created. I think Stanford alone must get a significant part of their money this way. I know UW is a public institution, but they also receive private grants for research so it's not so clear cut. I agree in principle that research should be publicly available for no cost, but it is what it is.