or Connect

Posts by focher

Kindle Fire, for one. And while we don't know exact numbers, the statistics we've seen suggest anywhere from 10-20% of the overall tablet market is going to someone other than Apple. I'm not doomsaying. The iPad IS the tablet market right now. But if Apple feels it has an excellent product for the smaller form factor segment (actually, I should say "middle size" because the iPod Touch is the smaller form factor) then its unlikely they will cede market share to the also rans.
Uh, a company doesn't "miss" because it doesn't meet the made up numbers of random external people. A "miss" is when the company misses from its own guidance. And Apple most assuredly did not.
  The purchasing public is actually starting to say that it does also want the choice of a smaller tablet, and the longer Apple leaves that price umbrella in place the more likely a competitor is going to field a viable product. The reviews of the Nexus 7 are suggesting that could be now. I'll give you credit for consistency, but Apple has shown itself to be more open to competing in segments where it previously declared it would not ... once they feel they have a...
The issue is around the concept of a "price umbrella". At a $399 entry point, the problem is that Apple created a tablet market and competitors finally figured out that they can come in at the lower price points (now at $199 with the Nexus 7) and capture market share without competing with Apple. It was one thing when there was no traction for the other products, but Apple can't realistically leave that segment unanswered because it will just dilute the iPad's domination...
I'm amazed at the industrial design on that prototype, and how many design features ended up in the final shipping iPad in 2010 - a full 6 to 8 years later. When I first saw the iPad at its unveiling, I recall being impressed with the pure beauty and elegance of the design. Once I had one, I was even more amazed purely from an aesthetic standpoint. While the final iPad was successful based on a combination of how it looked, felt, and worked from a software standpoint...
  The problem is that the decision criteria isn't whether the Nexus 7 or any other tablet is good or comparable to an iPad. The evaluation criteria is already defined. Every new product must be able to satisfactorily answer "Why would I get this over an iPad?" The only two characteristics that have proven successful so far are price or form factor. But that's about it so far. "Comparable" isn't going to cut it.
  Ah yes, the "Android is winning" meme. Exactly how again? Android takes 85% of the profits in the mobile device market? Umm, nope. Android is installed on more devices. Umm, which version - for sure ICS / JB are a small segment of even Android. The only Android market is the Samsung handset market. The rest are companies bleeding money -  HTC. Sony. "Motorola" - pick any one you want. Windows Phone 8? When it exists, is on the market, and posts some sales than you can...
You fail to realize that the world has changed. People don't look to their corporate IT anymore for technology. They already buy better technology for themselves. The consumerisation of IT has been in full swing for some years now. Microsoft is increasingly irrelevant as a purchasing decision in the consumer space, and corporate IT will adapt. Just will take them awhile. Why do you think you still see Blackberries? You won't in 3 years. MS will get more time, but in 10...
Your whole premise is based on a definition of "productivity" being PowerPoint, Excel, Word. That's relevant in the PC era, but peoples' computing needs in the post PC era are quite different. Posting to FB and Twitter. Sharing photos and videos. Carrying their media library around. These are the post PC "productivity" behaviors.
I will actually agree with you. However that's based on this exact moment in time. The fact is that the post-PC era is upon us and just because at this specific moment in time the PCs still look viable as opposed to being the truck they are soon to become doesn't mean that we're not in the new era. You just have to see that it is coming. Look at the trends. It's clear that tablets - I mean iPads - are the next dominant platform for end user computing.