or Connect

Posts by focher

An unlocked phone means one thing - the phone is not restricted to a single carrier. The phone still needs to have the technology to work with a specific network. This is why iPhones with GSM (which was always the AT&T iPhone and the iPhone 4S, which includes both CDMA and GSM) would work in most other markets, as GSM is the most prevalent cellular technology.   Once you have an unlocked GSM phone, you can swap out the SIM card to use one from any provider. Outside of the...
With Straight Talk, you can use FaceTime over Cellular despite that it's on the AT&T network.   More than the iPhone FaceTime restrictions from AT&T, AT&T's policy regarding FaceTime over Cellular for iPad data plans is even more egregious. They have applied the same "only for shared data plans" policy despite the iPad only has data plans. So $30 for the 3GB plan still doesn't give FaceTime over Cellular access.
iOS beta updates and the updates to GM have always been made available through Software Update.
Funny, but apparently DigiTimes was the first one to leak the iPad Mini product as far back as February. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Not necessarily, because there's probably some statistical baseline or floor to the customer ratings. It's likely that no satisfaction was rated on a score of 0, so the real "0" rating is probably closer to the HP/Palm and RIM/BB ratings.
You've pretty much made my point. Integrating LTE on the device makes no sense with that kind of data plan because 1) you won't be getting very much data over cellular and 2) the LTE capable radio does use more battery than a non LTE one.   I'm not arguing against LTE. It's great. I have it on my iPad and soon on my iPhone. My point is that the matching data plan, while a perfectly fine deal for the quota you get, doesn't match up with the need to have a high bandwidth...
I wasn't referring to cellular. I was referring specifically to using LTE (as opposed to 3G or even EDGE). If the data plan doesn't support using very much data, then a more costly and less power efficient cellular technology doesn't make sense.
The problem is that data plans don't make sense with the way they are currently designed. Giving a quota of 250MB for an LTE device just means you're wasting dollars on integrating LTE. It also costs battery life. You sure as hell can't get any benefit from having it be LTE.
Whatever Apple does, it will be based on running the numbers and fitting into a strategy. I'm actually surprised someone would still pay an unsubsidized price of $375 for a 3GS. The margin at the price must be huge for Apple.
I'm definitely not single and it got cheaper.