or Connect

Posts by jetlaw

While I like John C. Dvorak, this well-written article is a great example of why "meteorologist" and "tech pundit" are the only two careers that any guidance counselor should ever recommend. After all, weathermen and tech writers have the envious opportunity to be great in their field despite being wrong most of the time!
Saying that "no one wants [Scott Forstall]" is a bit like saying that someone who wins a silver olympic medal must really suck at their sport.  I am no fan of skeumorphic design, but I think it is pretty clear that Forstall contributed greatly to the success of iOS, and to a lesser extent, Apple itself.  It's easy to be an armchair quarterback and criticize high-profile people who make high-profile mistakes, but it is awfully hard to be successful enough to become...
I'm a bit surprised that Apple would prioritize the Remote app over iBooks for iOS.
I really do wish that Apple would provide a mechanism to let users to change the icons for default and third party apps.  I don't particularly care for a number of the default icons in iOS 7 (Notes and Reminders, in particular), and I am absolutely shocked at the "Voice Memos" app icon made the final cut.  It is easily the worst bit of design I've seen come out of Apple.
Ya gotta love highly-posed photos that are intended to look organic. I can almost hear the photographer giving them instructions (in a British accent, of course) - "Okay, here's your motivation: look relaxed, but really intense...great, now look concerned, but the kind of concerned where you don't really give a shit...perfect! Okay, now pretend you are best friends who hate is each other...Perfect! Okay people, that's a wrap!"
A larger-screened iPhone seems inevitable to me. I'm a bit surprised that it is taking as long as it is.
If this is true, I would make it "Exhibit A" in the case that Apple is losing is its design sensibilities.
You are right, StruckPaper.  I regret making the comment I did.  I appreciate you calling me out and apologize to the forum.
Makes perfect sense: White iPhone for female customers; Black iPhone for white customers; Gold iPhone for black customers. /s
While I don't love the new icons, I certainly don't find them to be a good reason not to upgrade. That said, I DO wish that Apple would permit users to change iOS icons on default and third-party apps. It seems to me that allowing user-selected icons would be a straightforward way for Apple to control the initial user experience while at the same time mitigating the backlash that some people have demonstrated regarding Apple's new icon design sensibilities.