or Connect

Posts by freediverx

No problem. BTW, Isaacson's book does contain some interesting material that's not covered elsewhere, so it's still a worthwhile read despite its inaccuracies and editorial slant.
 The difference between the two books boils down to two things: balance and technological accuracy. Isaacson's book seems to relish in highlighting Jobs's asshole moments, as if it's primary aim was to dispel the notion that Jobs was a saint and replace it with a portrait of a talented but not very likable person. Schlender and Tetzeli don't shy away from the negative aspects of Jobs's life and personality but they balance it with accounts of sensitivity and maturation as...
 I think Sculley's lameness pales compared to Amelio's, who favored licensing Windows NT from Microsoft. These clowns were your run of the mill, overpaid executives trying to shoehorn conventional business strategies into a struggling Apple, oblivious to everything that made Apple unique. Granted it's easy to make this observation today, with 20/20 hindsight, but to me this underscores just how special Apple is and why companies with loads of talent like Google and...
   You do realize they start at $349, not $1000? That's the entry level model. Are you suggesting it would be a smarter business decision for Apple to sell a cheaper Watch now, or that they should prioritize making the watch affordable for the low end of the market despite that it would bring down their ASP and margins?
  Given the challenge of having houseful of gadgets respond to your voice, wouldn't it make sense for the voice interface to be on your wrist?
 Are you kidding? I use voice all the time when composing text messages, asking for directions, and for creating reminders on the go. Voice input is how I add items to my grocery shopping list as I run out of stuff around the house. Just because you haven't figured out how to make them work for you shouldn't be reason to dismiss their usefulness.  Just because you can't type while walking on the sidewalk or driving doesn't mean keyboards are obsolete. Likewise just because...
 I feel the same way. Lighting is a huge opportunity though, but not via an app, for the reasons you mentioned. I've replaced most of my lightbulbs with LED versions with built-in wireless that I can turn on and off or dim from a small remote. The remote is so cheap that I have one for every room in the house, so there's always one handy. Check them out. Much cheaper than Phillips and doesn't require an app. The only thing that's pricey is shipping because they're in  New...
 Again, that is a technical spec based on laboratory testing conditions. It doesn't mean you can thrash it around all day, 3 feet underwater and expect it to maintain its water resistance. For practical purposes IPX7 means it can resist sweat, rain, maybe getting wet in the shower - that's it.
 Why would making it out of plastic make it easier to waterproof? It's actually just the opposite since plastics are soft, and can more easily deform and compromise watertight seals. The reason why the Apple Watch isn't more water resistant has nothing to do with its metal case. It's almost certainly because the required o-rings and gaskets surrounding every button and seam would significantly increase the size of the watch and reduce the space available for the battery -...
 My guess is that - as with the iPad - people will be reluctant to upgrade for minor, incremental improvements. The most exciting updates I can imagine for the Apple Watch would be those that give it increasing independence from the iPhone, and I don't see these developing for several years at least... - True wireless charging with a range of several feet (your watch could recharge while you wear it at your desk or while sleeping.)- Robust water resistance (your watch...