or Connect

Posts by freediverx

I actually like the centered logo better. Other than that, this seems a lot like a new executive with a background in fashion and a humongous sign-on bonus making a change for the sake of change. I'd have expected something more significant.
 I would have considered the reek of cigarettes far worse. Fortunately I've never experienced either.
No, that's not it at all. That's what any business schmuck at Dell or Microsoft might say. That's not Apple. Regardless of their financial motives, Apple will not create a new product category unless they can sell it based on its benefit for users, and "cheap price" doesn't cut it. Even the Mac Mini, which is clearly a low price point product, is promoted as a powerhouse that packs the entire Mac experience into a 7.7-inch-square frame and lets you use your own display,...
I don't really disagree with most of your reasoning but I guess my main question is what would be the key selling point for this new class of computer? What would make me want one? Apple doesn't create product categories to fill a price point without offering some uniquely desirable feature. A Macbook Air is cheaper than other MacBooks, but it's also crazy thin and light with insane battery life.
Well, Apple's switch to Intel was a huge effort for developers, but the upside was crystal clear since a) it opened the door for natively running Windows apps and games on a Mac and b) it eliminated the perception that PCs were faster because their Intel CPUs had higher clock speeds. Plus Apple did a great job easing the transition with Rosetta. But even with these benefits, major developers like Adobe and Microsoft took years to port their Mac apps to run natively on...
But then you would have this new class of Apple device that could neither run iOS nor OS X apps, but only a new breed of apps developed for an in-between platform. Prospective buyers would be unable to use any software they already owned for either PC or Mac, and would be confronted with a new app store with a very limited selection. Picture a family on a tight budget looking to replace their family PC. The computer may be currently shared by mom and kids ranging in age...
 See my edited post...
 I don't see Apple migrating their computers to ARM-based processors in the foreseeable future. I think the benefits would be significantly outweighed by the loss of compatibility with Windows which, despite its low popularity ratings, remains a formidable force in the enterprise and some specific industries, as well as PC gaming. And that's on top of the burden on developers. Meanwhile, II think creating a third category in between iOS and OS X devices would needlessly...
 Stop kicking yourself. The apple bluetooth headset was beautiful yet hopelessly flawed - so much so that it was discontinued less than 2 years after its release. I still have mine - original box and accessories, looks like new - and the thing won't even turn on or show the charging indicator light. Even back when it worked, it didn't work well. Battery life, audio quality, and connection range & reliability were all poor. It's little more than a pretty collector's item at...
 I don't see inductive charging as a very Apple-like solution. It's way too much complexity that doesn't solve any problems. You need to have this bulky charging pad always hogging desktop space whether or not it's in use, you have to lug the thing around while traveling, and in the end it still requires direct contact. Pointless. Apple is using it for their watch because it allows a convenient, magnetic connection without any sockets to mess up the watch's design, and the...