or Connect

Posts by NeilM

My mid-2010 MBP's trackpad surface is very slightly recessed, although I'd never really paid attention to it. Stacking two Post-It note sheets makes it perfectly flush with the upper case, so now we know that.
It's not merely obvious, but public knowledge, that Apple is interested in the automotive market — CarPlay. There's no evidence whatsoever that Apple is interested in building cars, and every reason to suppose that they would not be: massive capital investment, entrenched and competent global competition, low margins, pervasive and incompatible government regulations, and on and on. Ask anyone who works in the car business and they'll tell you you'd be crazy to want to...
 I wonder what you guys criticizing Jony Ive's socks are wearing that's so f-ing stylish. Probably unwashed shorts and sports team shirts for games you don't play. Me, I like the red socks: the guy's not afraid to make a statement when wearing a suit. Others would do that with a tie, but they don't wear ties in tech.

According to well-connected insider Ming-Chi Kuo, supplier chain sources reveal that those are in fact Jony Ive's sheets and tea towels, as evidenced by the stratospheric thread count, almost invisible hems and the extreme thinness of their design. However the derivative design and poor detailing of the skivvies on the clothesline next door suggest that those are blatant Samsung knock-offs. A well-informed insider said that while he couldn't confirm that the skivvies were...
Wow, what is this, wing nut Monday?
Since there are no low end iPhones, but there certainly are low end Android handsets, comparing average selling prices alone doesn't give a very meaningful picture. Yes an approximately comparable iPhone sells for more than its Android counterpart, and yes Apple makes a higher margin on what it sells, but no, Apple doesn't dilute its product mix with basic models.
"Intel's strategy of competing for business based on performance, price, and reliability."   ​He left out another key factor: availability. Yes Broadwell, we're talking about you: almost a year late and counting.   The other problem with Apple's reliance on Intel is competitive advantage, as in there isn't any. Everyone uses the same Intel processors (AMD isn't a factor). If Apple can do better themselves with ARM based chips, especially for the ultra-portable market,...
RAM costs money, but more importantly in a mobile context it consumes power. It's in everyone's best interest to have as little RAM in an iOS device as will do the job. The problem is, the job keeps growing: while hardware designers keep adding more RAM, software developers keep finding ways to require even more than that. I have no doubt that the next iPhone will have 2GB.   Just to put this in perspective, my Mac SE/30 had a mammoth 2MB of RAM, while the MacBook Pro...
Exactly. That looks like one half of a mould for die-casting. The other half would be indexed to it by the tapered pins we can see. There are two reasons neither laptops nor tablets use cast aluminum cases. One is that the grades of aluminum usable for casting are too soft for thin and lightweight pieces, and the other is that you can't cast aluminum to the thin wall dimensions required. Aluminum cases either have to be stamped, if they're simple forms like a lid, or...