or Connect

Posts by AjitMD

I wonder if that dude who got fired from Apple could get the CEO position at Microsoft? Forestal could clean the mess at MSFT... except that he has a difficult personality. I would love to see that, than pile on MSFT stock. Too bad Cook kept Forestal hogtied as an advisor.
It is about time that Apple upgraded their Mac line and they still got the Mac tower to be upgraded... all part of the ecosystem. Their upgrade cycles should not take >1 year. In tech it is an eternity. Meanwhile, they need to come with iPhones in different sizes like 3.5", 4" and 5". I think it was a mistake to change the aspect ratio. Did not improve much as the letters are still the same size unless I go with the landscape mode. Complicates software development...
The Moto $12B purchase will have to be written on. The FRAND patents are not worth that kind of money and manufacturing is a money loosing bottomless pit. There is no way that Moto can compete with the likes of Samsung that are vertically integrated or cut rate Chinese Android phone makes like Lenovo or Huwei. Did the management of Google due their due diligence? Everybody and their mutt in this board knows about FRAND patents.
Can the iPhone be designed so that its manufacture and assembly are fully automated? I understand that the components like the chips, LED display, and even the battery are produced in automated factories. Can the case be designed so that the internal components can be installed by robots, etc? Usually slots, guides are machined in place so that everything fits. I remember reading that the level of automation is dependent on the cost of capital/automation versus the...
70% of Apple profits and 50 % of its revenues come from the iPhone. The iPhone5 is selling is higher volumes than iPhone 4s, etc. However, the market probably feels with that the surge is not sustainable over time. Sales will peak on the Dec Q and sustain for another Q as foreign markets like China get the iPhone5. China Mobile could extend this surge, but Apple would have make the effort of deploying their version of LTE/TD-SCDMA. Apple played prima donna and waited...
I think that leaving out the DVD drive out of the iMac may be premature.  I still rent DVDs, and even BluRay.  With such a nice display, it makes fun watching movies on the 27" iMac and it is better than my regular HDTV.  More so when Apple introduces Retina Display.  
Apple should have focussed in bringing different models of the iPhone.  That where the money is.  They should have kept the same aspect ratio and produced 4.0-4.5", 4.5-5" versions, in addition to the 3.5" version.  Just 1 color to simplify inventory and only 2 memory choices.  The smartphone market is huge and different people want different sizes.  They boxy design in uncomfortable to hold... need something ergonomic and easy to hold like the 3GS model.     Apple...
The firewall is a fig leaf.   The Samsung component division prepared a document on the iPhone that was used by the division making the Samsung phones.  Got to be other fabs that can make the A4/5 chips.  Intel?  IBM? TXN?  It makes sense to fab with a U company to keep trade secrets.  The rest of the stuff is mostly generic, except for QCOM telecom chips and they are not going to mess with Apple.  
Apple licenses the cores from ARM and then they bought PA Semi to do the design of the SoC.  Imagination Tech was bought for its graphics core.  Actually Apple made a lame effort to have Taiwan Semi build the A class chips, but their fab was not up to specs.  With $120B in cash, there is no excuse to get multiple sources for the fab, or build their own plant.  The ROC or ROI can not be worse than treasuries.  
Settle?  Samsung will settle only if the jury goes against them decisively.  Anybody who has done business in places like China, India, Korea, Russian, Brazil, etc should understand how most of the folks there operate.  Agreements do not mean anything... they are meant to be broken.  Courts take forever to resolve the issues.  Even if one owns land and even office/dwelling, squatters can move in and it difficult to evict them.  That is why many joint ventures in that...