or Connect

Posts by markbriton

The cost of manufacturing an iPhone is not affected by paying corporation tax in the UK. Did you buy the degree online?
I've never heard of Wharton but I'm a chartered accountant. How about the staff who work for the corporations; you don't think higher taxes affect their wages for example, regardless of whether they "consume" Apple's products? Do you regard Apple itself as a consumer, in that increased taxes can put downward pressure on their suppliers? Presumably if you were on Apple's board and were told corporation tax was being increased by 1%, you would simply say "we need to increase...
in answer to your question, no they don't because it isn't true and a lot of people are better educated than you.
I think most people agree that the tax system should be less complicated (except tax advisors!) but taxation is an important tool that governments use as part of a mixed economy. Tax can be used to discourage certain behaviours (for example smoking) or to encourage investment in certain industries (for example building new houses).
Yep, just take a look at some of our overseas territories like the Cayman Islands and Bermuda. You can get some good "financial advice" in London too I hear.
I agree. It's quite tiresome reading "you pay the taxes not the corporations" from all these teabaggers. Of course prices are affected by any number of things including exchange rate fluctuations, inflation (which is at zero in the UK), energy prices, political and civil unrest or natural disasters in the far away developing countries where nearly all Apple's products are made... it goes on and on. Taxes helped to pay for the environments that helped make Apple successful,...
It's hard to compare tax rates in different countries because of the complicated systems each country operates but 20% corporation tax is considered low, especially in comparison to US federal corporate income tax rates of up to 39% plus state taxes of up to 3%. VAT is not the same as US sales tax, it's a tax on value added not the sale - a bit complicated to explain but it's not sales tax and is widely considered as being fairer than sales tax. I know a lot of Americans...
Starbucks paid virtually no UK tax, whereas a small local coffee shop has to pay corporation tax of 20% on their profits - low in comparison to most EU countries and a lot lower than the United States, but not as low as Starbucks who paid 0%. If you run a business in the UK you should pay the local taxes like everyone else.
I use my contactless debit card in the UK (no Apple Pay here yet) almost every day. I'd say it doesn't work a couple of times a month. In my experience it's the retailer's equipment not my card at fault. Usually the cashier will say "Oh that hasn't been working all day" or similar. Had the occasional card clash problem, twice with Oyster. I also still see people frantically waving their card back and forth over the readers instead of holding it still for a couple of...
A lot of these religious comments sound a lot like Islamic fundamentalist beliefs