or Connect

Posts by markbriton

If it's actually cheaper to use a different payment method, as CurrentC seems to promise, then a lot of people will use it. But the card companies won't just give up and go home, they'll provide more attractive and (importantly) much simpler cashback, rewards, offers etc; the kind of things that Passbook was designed to organise... and guess which app you use for Apple Pay...
Since Orange is part of EE, I don't see why an Orange spokesperson would say that. EE (everything everywhere) was a merger between Orange and T-Mobile. It's the largest network in the UK in terms of coverage and subscribers. I'm sure O2 will announce support shortly, I reckon Apple didn't discuss it with all the networks beforehand, they just went to the biggest; all the networks are used to giving out SIMs and they'll be wondering whether Apple's model is good, bad or not...
I wonder whether Apple will incorporate the ability to take payments (as well as make payments) into iPads and iPhones. That could be a game changer. Some of the newer cafes and shops in cities I've visited in the US already use iPads (along with hardware like that from Square) to take payments. Surely it's technically quite easy to make all new iPads able to accept Apple Pay?
A lot of people are saying the cost of hardware for merchants is a barrier. It does make me wonder how chip and PIN became ubiquitous in the UK. Even the smallest family run shops and cafes have wireless handheld terminals to take card transactions, and many accept contactless (NFC) payments already here, so why should it be any different in the US? I'd assumed that the banks provide the hardware as part of their merchant services.
When I travel to the U.S. I'm always uncomfortable using my card. For Europeans it's strange to hand over your card at the end of a meal for example, and then be handed a receipt on which to write the tip, with the actual amount you're paying invisibly being entered after you've left. I don't like the lack of chip and pin, anyone could just swipe my card. Chip and PIN is used everywhere over here.
Does everyone at Appleinsider own Uber stock?
It's not supposed to be about proportional representation. The point is that if the majority of your staff are straight white able-bodied men, then they are likely to think like straight white able-bodied men and make products for straight white able-bodied men that solve problems that straight white able-bodied men encounter. By having a more diverse team, and by that I mean more variety of different people from different backgrounds and with different life experiences,...
I have no issue with Apple and others being required to have the ability to allow law enforcement to track my phone and have access to all my data. But that must only be allowed to happen with a warrant issued by a judge who has considered whether it's justified. Customers should know this is a possibility and the law should be clear on when and how it can be used.
More importantly, does the screen shot mean we'll have to start paying to subscribe to appleinsider :-O
Let's hope they start calling some UK businesses too. Yesterday I had to drop off some kit for a friend to a cricket club, Apple Maps didn't know where the cricket club was (it suggested a golf club nearby) but Google found it immediately. On my way back I needed to call in at a post office. Apple Maps took me to the wrong end of the correct street, so again I had to bring up Google Maps to find the right location. I always try Apple first because I don't want to use...