or Connect

Posts by orthorim

Here in SE Asia I have hotspot enabled for free and 3GB / month of 3G for $20. Benefits of having actual market competition. Getting upgraded to 4G for free in a few months too. Oh there's phone minutes and texts included too but I mostly use the phone for data.    Enabling hotspot for $30 is a sick joke. 
This is the year Tim Cook's Apple has come into his own. And it's a good thing. Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs. He doesn't have a clear vision for the future 20 years from now. But he does other things that are equally spectacular, and in terms of money, probably even more profitable.
Wow, I had no idea. I've always had this wet dream of Elon Musk running Apple. Can you imagine? Holy Shit!!! Elon Musk is currently the one person most like Steve Jobs in the world. In fact IMO he's the one great industrialist that can compare. So if they bought Tesla they'd have two options: Lose him, or make him CEO. Tesla without Musk would make no sense so...
While Apple may or may not make more profits than Samsung - I think they do, but that's going to come to an end soon - we can say this:   - Apple makes shitloads of money - Samsung makes shitloads of money - Both are going to make less in the future - Apple will reduce margins with new low end products, and also simply by being able to keep up with demand. And Samsung will probably face stiff competition in all low end categories from a large number of...
I am running 1920 x 1200 on my 15" retina MacBook Pro. It can be small at times, but that's what the zoom function is for. Most times, it's just fine.   I had a 17" before this machine. The size difference makes the retina the clear winner. And the retina display.   The thing is, once you go retina, you can't go back. I was using a loaner MBP with standard res for a week and I was just amazed that I used do be fine with that pixelated mess they call display. The...
  +1 on point 1. This is the reason iOS 7 is great. It's not something you see in static shots.   It's a physical UI. iOS now has a physics simulator built in, and this is the reason. Previously, Apple had provided nice standard transitions for navigation UIs and modals. With iOS 7 they went a step further and are providing a physics simulator for all views - anything that moves in your UI can move according to physical properties, like a spring, or gravity, etc.   The...
iOS7 beta is really buggy - crashes, battery issues and whatnot. The new UX paradigm doesn't work in some places - there is a fine line between "only showing the data" and "showing a confusing jumble things" where UX elements are not clearly marked as such and mix with the content. Nevertheless, there is absolutely no going back to iOS 6. I am sure they're going to work out the kinks; I don't think they can pull it all off for GM, but by this time next year it should be...
Enterprise is ruled by the IT departments of the world. The IT departments of the world never, ever even looked at XServe as a serious alternative. It did not help matters that XServe was an unproven system that actually had many issues for those who did adopt it. Not sure it makes a good comparison to Android. Some points 1 - This is the first article I see that points out how weak Androids position as the "low end market leader" really is. I always wondered why this...
  What's happening is that you're trying to guess what others are trying to guess. The stock at the base is only very very loosely connected to that, especially short term. So you're tying to outguess the others who are trying to outguess you. In the end there will be large and sometimes sustained swings away from the "reasonable" level one would expect using P/E and these sorts hard truth indicators.    I am a long term Apple investor and this is nothing. I remember we...
Well if you're long on AAPL, I suggest to tune out and check back in 5 months.