or Connect

Posts by Tardis

Heineken-fueled celebration?   Q. You have just become a billionaire. What drink do you choose to celebrate this?   QQ. Even if you haven't just become a billionaire, but assuming you are quite rich and successful, why would you be drinking Heineken?   A. Champagne, surely?   AA. Nothing against Heineken. It's quite a good beer, especially if you are poor and not successful and can't afford better quality craft beers. 
Sony has done a really good job in the design of this system, basically extracting quality sensors and optics from the digital camera and leaving the rest to your phone which already has better processing, controls and display than many cameras. I usually carry a digital camera as well as my iPhone, and the iPhone image quality has improved so much that I could almost use it as my only camera. My fear, however, is having the iPhone all set up on tripod with attached lenses...
I used PhotoShop for many years, it was my own personal and fairly light use, so the several hundred dollar price tag was high for me. After a few years of upgrades to my Mac, the software I thought I "owned" stopped working. In other words, I had in effect "rented" it for as many years as Adobe chose to support. Which was not many.   The cost of a new CS for my limited use was too high, there was no viable "free" alternative, and "Acorn vs. Pixelmator" seemed to be the...
Back when this question was first discussed, and while we hoped that Steve Jobs would be around for a while longer, I spent some time thinking about which member of the current "team" was the best replacement. I came to the conclusion that, on a "like-for-like" basis, Forstall was the nearest equivalent to Steve Jobs, i.e. the guy with vision that could carry the company foreword. But when Steve Jobs died last year was not the time for "the guy with vision". Apple already...
"Are you getting it?" I watched that announcement online, and I have always wondered, was the audience too slow in understanding the "joke", that the "three devices" were in fact one? Or was Steve Jobs getting worried that this "joke" simply hadn't worked? "So, three things," Jobs said, repeating each of the three. He then repeated all three again, as his backdrop animated between an iPod icon, a Phone icon and the Safari icon. "Are you getting it?" Jobs asked. "These...
Here in Japan, I was expecting to be offered a "free" iPhone 3GS when renewing a SoftBank account, but they don't even stock them. Their basic model is an iPhone 4, but they offer a FREE 16GB iPhone 4S to existing customers who renew their contracts. So basically, it is not Apple who is making the decisions, it is the local carrier, for business reasons. Incidentally, they have stocks in black but the white model is sold out everywhere.
See DED's article on this: http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...842A41BD1.html I cannot find the relevant figures in this series of articles, but I recall seeing that the amount secretly paid to Apple by Microsoft to settle this may have been as much as US $2 billion. Whatever the actual figure, it was way more than the $150 million publicly quoted "investment". Apple was fortunate in being able to catch Microsoft out on this "piracy", but at the same time it indicates...
They have "Environmental Activists" in China now?I was reading this report in China Daily while flying in. You could smell the pollution as the plane neared Beijing, long before we landed. It was the smell of coal smoke similar to the "Smog" in London fifty years ago, see < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Air_Act_1956 >.The same paper carried a report that coal-fired power stations had been removed from central areas of the city - yet when the smog cleared, I could see...
Anyone know anything about this NT-K company? From their website, it looks like Psystar all over again. No sign of any real product, any actual "sales" or any way to buy it if there were, just a few computer-generated mock-ups of computer concepts. The "NT-K Pad", the one the Spanish customs impounded, was real enough. It looks exactly like any number of iPad lookalike Android-based knockoffs you can buy in the back-street markets of Shenzhen. And like all of...
Ive doing fantastic design work for Steve Jobs, and not trying to run the company, reminded me of this interview with Woz, who did the fantastic engineering work that is the whole basis of Apple:http://realdanlyons.com/blog/2011/10...tion-with-woz/ Yes, I know, it's an article by THAT Dan Lyons, aka Fake Steve, who actually hated Jobs. But it's a great interview. Woz had no great ambition except to be seen as the very best at his kind of engineering. Jobs made that happen...