or Connect

Posts by Tardis

Yes, it is news. If you don't understand why, perhaps you shouldn't comment. I think the reason that it is news is that it indicates that Apple needs to add more information about where its equipment is built. My iMac can tell me it was made in Shanghai. It can't tell me the name of the factory. I do not know whether Apple uses more than one manufacturer in Shanghai right now, but it is possible they will do so in the future. Do you care whether my iMac was made in...
I have no idea what problems posters "Rain" and "Highflyer" are really having. I have a quad-core i7 iMac, it is AWESOME and has no problems, no pink or yellow stripes, it is unbelievably fast and it looks beautiful and bright. So, should I install the firmware update? No yellow stripes to fix, so "why fix what ain't broke"? Is there a chance that the firmware update will cause more problems that I don't have right now?
I got a MacBook in 2007. The hard drive failed about 10 months later. Apple replaced it. Sounds like I wasn't alone, that particular component was unreliable. Believe me, when that happens, you are not thinking "who is paying for this?", you are thinking "how good is my back-up and how much time will it take me to recover my data, applications and settings?" In my case, I had a complete back-up from when I had installed Boot Camp a few weeks earlier and I could restore...
If I was a professional working with PhotoShop on a daily basis, my company would not question the cost of the software. However, as an amateur who only needed to retouch or create images occasionally, investing in PhotoShop 7.0 was a huge expenditure for me personally. Adobe's later versions of Photoshop didn't seem to offer much more functionality, so I didn't upgrade to the CS versions. Even so, I was rather surprised when I installed Mac OS X 10.5 and found that...
The revelation of Michael Arrington is a bit like John the Baptist: I thought I was doing a good job but someone else was doing a similar job. At first I thought I could compete, but I later realised I didn't have a chance, so I aligned my reputation with his/hers and became a spokesman for them. and now, Steve Jobs has been reported as saying that the upcoming Apple tablet "will be the most important thing I've ever done." If Steve is right, it will be because...
The important point about the MacBook Air that cannot be understood unless you use it is this: It is not just thinner and lighter, it is thin enough and light enough that you can pick it up, easily, with one hand. Why does this make a difference? Because it means you can PASS IT AROUND. Remember all those times where someone looks over your shoulder to see what you are looking at on your PC, or you send them a URL? With the MacBook Air you just pass them the computer to...
After I ordered a quad-core 27-incher I was told it would take 3 weeks, but those child workers in Shanghai obviously worked over Christmas and it arrived within 2 weeks. No stripes no stutter. Together with the new mouse, the performance is fantastic. For example, open a set of web bookmarks in Tabs and flick the mouse surface backwards or forwards to go to next or previous page. Flick past the top level and it takes you back to the previous set of tabs! I had to try this...
Daniel, How long has it been since I told you what a good job you are doing with your website and how much I enjoy your articles, even those published on Appleinsider? Well perhaps too long, but you haven't been as prolific lately ....... Keep up the good work ...... I recognised the name Mike Elgan, but forgot from where, so I unfortunately clicked on: http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ource=rss_news before I remembered that you had warned us...
Thanks, BruceP, I forgot about games! My gaming needs are (almost) satisfied by Solitaire and SNOOD, but many people are buying and selling games on the iTunes App Store. Google Games or Microsoft's X-Box? not so many. Only Apple knows how successful this business might be, and how it could be linked in to other media, services or social connections on the iTunes software side. Apple probably already knows how much these links can extend sales of Mac computers, iPods,...
Speculation, however well-informed, that Apple wants to replicate Google's "Cloud" operation, or even Microsoft's, is likely to be misplaced. Remember that such a data centre will take as much as two years to build out. At the iTunes Store's current growth rate, five times the size is entirely plausible. Even more so when you think that Apple is adding new services all the time, including HD video. Personally, I think that Apple will be planning to remove the...