or Connect

Posts by derekmorr

This is one of the worst researched articles I've seen on here, which is saying something. It's conclusions would be laughed out of an undergraduate-level research methods class. A few basic questions come to mind: Where did this dataset come from? Who collected it? When was it collected? How was it collected? Without knowing answers to these questions, it's hard to take the conclusions seriously. We know, for example, the iOS 6 has built-in Twitter support. Might that...
There are several things wrong with that statement.   Android does have virtual memory. It does not have swap. The two are not the same. Virtual memory means that each process has an independent, isolated memory space. Android implements this. It's part of its security and fault-tolerance models.   Android only kills apps when it's low on memory. By the say, regular desktop Linux does the same thing (using a different strategy), even on systems with swap space. It's...
No, it isn't. People still do botch User Agent sniffing. I see it all the time.Two quick examples:Akamai IO mis-classified Chrome for iOS and Android as Chrome desktop, and Firefox for Android as Firefox desktop, for over 9 months. How do I know this? Because I emailed them and they told me. They've finally fixed their error.The WPTouch plugin for WordPress still doesn't properly distinguish between Android phones and tablets, so I often get the phone version of a website...
Rarely. When I do, I can usually copy and paste them. Or use DNS. Also, not all IPv6 addresses are long. For example, here's one: 2610:8:6800:1::35. In IPv6, if you have a large range of continuous zeros you can write them as a double colon ( :: ). So you could write that address as 2610:0008:6800:0001:0000:0000:0000:0035, but who wants to type all of that?There have been some problem with v6 RBLs for spam, but there are better options for spam control than that. Honestly,...
Wrong. Skype uses it for video calls. Support was first added in 2010.
I have to disagree with much of that. I've been an IPv6 deployment lead at my employer for several years, and, frankly, it's not that hard to work with. NAT is not a security technology. It was never designed to be. IPv6 doesn't change that. The use of EUI-64 addresses isn't really a privacy concern, and the so-called privacy addresses don't actually increase privacy and make network management significantly more complicated. The idea with "privacy" addresses is to...
I agree that SSL should be used by default, or at least for sending login credentials. Google got in some hot water a few years ago for sending authentication tokens in the clear from the contacts and calendar app on Android (and, as I recall, the commenters on AI were pretty merciless about that issue; funny how many of them seem to have changed their tune when it's Apple in the hot seat).I'm not sure of any issue with SSL and NAT. As far that a client-side NAT router is...
*sigh* Here we go again with the Android bashing. Quelle surprise, AppleInsider. This article isn't a study; it's speculation. The author isn't investigating why something has happened; she's guessing that something might happen. I have to wonder if the author knows the first thing about software development. It is not a problem to support multiple devices on Android. The platform was designed to support that. You might want to have a look at the documentation on the...
  ASLR is usually added gradually. OS X got limited ASLR in 10.5, with support improving in future versions. Same in iOS -- Apple added limited ASLR in 4.3 and expanded it later.    
What details did I neglect to include?What new devices are still shipping with Gingerbread? I'm sure there must be some, but how popular will they be? Gingerbread's marketshare peaked at 66% back in June 2012. It's fallen 20% since then. I highly doubt it will go back up (no version of Android ever has. Once it peaks, it steadily drops).I'd hardly call the ASLR implementation in ICS "half-baked." There were problems in 4.0 - 4.0.2, but they were mostly fixed in 4.0.3. And...