or Connect

Posts by derekmorr

Hi, Daniel (btw, why don't you use your real name when you post comments here? Keeping track of your aliases is almost a full-time job.)I see you didn't bother responding to any of my claims, but just spread more FUD and name-calling. That's unfortunate.Is the Pentagon a serious enough government user of Android for you?It's about 45% using February's numbers. We should have updated numbers later this week. If you track the version stats and run the projections forward, I...
Even for DED, this article has low standards. It's so full of distortions and cherry picked half-truths that it's disturbing to think anyone will take it seriously.   A few points:   * Android has had full-disk encryption for two years, since 3.0. It uses AES-128 in CBC mode with SHA256. You can read the full implementation details online. Conveniently, DED neglected to mention this. iOS's AES-256 is just an incremental improvement over AES-128.   * Android has had app...
Let me offer another perspective. Many of these iOS vs. Android web stats are very unreliable. I'm not sure how NetMarketShare.com determines if something is Android. I do know that Akamai and Piwik both seriously botch device detection (Akamai counts several Android browsers as their desktop versions, and Piwik counts them as Safari). Apparently folks have difficulty writing working regex's for User Agent Strings.   This same User Agent string brokenness extends to...
How unsurprising that this thread should quickly degenerate into an Android hate fest. That's so atypical for AppleInsider.   There is a lot of confusion about how Android updates work and when they're needed. KDarling is correct -- OS updates aren't needed for Google Apps updates. YouTube, Maps, Calendar, Street View, Search, Chrome, GMail, etc are updated independently of the OS. Likewise, the Google Apps Android APIs aren't part of Android itself and are updated...
Unfortunately, Akamai's stats are misleading. They don't properly identify Chrome for Android (and iOS) or Firefox for Android. They're counting Chrome for Android and iOS as desktop Chrome, and Firefox for Android as desktop Firefox. This was confirmed to me by an email from Akamai in December 2012.   Also, their stats don't rollup browsers based on OS. Lots of folks look at the "iOS vs Android" graph, see that the iOS line is higher and draw bad conclusions. The...
DED is mistaken -- TI is not killing OMAP5
  Android isn't Java based because you can't run .class files on an Android device, at least not without first installing a Java Virtual Machine. Further, you don't have to use the Dalvik VM at all -- you can use the NDK to build native ARM, x86, or MIPS executables.
It isn't a Java program. It's a Dalvik program. Android doesn't use the Java Virtual Machine.To install the Amazon App Store, you have to enable third-party markets, or use an Amazon Android device. Even if you enable third-party apps, apps aren't installed automatically. The user is still prompted to install them. The install lists the permissions the app needs -- the user can clearly see if the app wants access to personal information or to services that potentially cost...
Hardly. This isn't the first baseless, hysterical Android malware hit piece I've seen, and it won't be the last. Every few weeks we see some new inflated claim from a security consultancy that Android malware increased dramatically. But if you look closely, you'll see they almost never disclose their methodology, which makes it hard to take them seriously. Also, it appears that many of them curiously classify adware as malware, leading to inflated numbers. In most cases,...
  Be afraid of what, exactly? Shoddy reporting? These apps cannot install themselves automatically, and they're blocked by the default config. This is a non-story.