or Connect

Posts by derekmorr

I agree that SSL should be used by default, or at least for sending login credentials. Google got in some hot water a few years ago for sending authentication tokens in the clear from the contacts and calendar app on Android (and, as I recall, the commenters on AI were pretty merciless about that issue; funny how many of them seem to have changed their tune when it's Apple in the hot seat).I'm not sure of any issue with SSL and NAT. As far that a client-side NAT router is...
*sigh* Here we go again with the Android bashing. Quelle surprise, AppleInsider. This article isn't a study; it's speculation. The author isn't investigating why something has happened; she's guessing that something might happen. I have to wonder if the author knows the first thing about software development. It is not a problem to support multiple devices on Android. The platform was designed to support that. You might want to have a look at the documentation on the...
  ASLR is usually added gradually. OS X got limited ASLR in 10.5, with support improving in future versions. Same in iOS -- Apple added limited ASLR in 4.3 and expanded it later.    
What details did I neglect to include?What new devices are still shipping with Gingerbread? I'm sure there must be some, but how popular will they be? Gingerbread's marketshare peaked at 66% back in June 2012. It's fallen 20% since then. I highly doubt it will go back up (no version of Android ever has. Once it peaks, it steadily drops).I'd hardly call the ASLR implementation in ICS "half-baked." There were problems in 4.0 - 4.0.2, but they were mostly fixed in 4.0.3. And...
Hi, Daniel (btw, why don't you use your real name when you post comments here? Keeping track of your aliases is almost a full-time job.)I see you didn't bother responding to any of my claims, but just spread more FUD and name-calling. That's unfortunate.Is the Pentagon a serious enough government user of Android for you?It's about 45% using February's numbers. We should have updated numbers later this week. If you track the version stats and run the projections forward, I...
Even for DED, this article has low standards. It's so full of distortions and cherry picked half-truths that it's disturbing to think anyone will take it seriously.   A few points:   * Android has had full-disk encryption for two years, since 3.0. It uses AES-128 in CBC mode with SHA256. You can read the full implementation details online. Conveniently, DED neglected to mention this. iOS's AES-256 is just an incremental improvement over AES-128.   * Android has had app...
Let me offer another perspective. Many of these iOS vs. Android web stats are very unreliable. I'm not sure how NetMarketShare.com determines if something is Android. I do know that Akamai and Piwik both seriously botch device detection (Akamai counts several Android browsers as their desktop versions, and Piwik counts them as Safari). Apparently folks have difficulty writing working regex's for User Agent Strings.   This same User Agent string brokenness extends to...
How unsurprising that this thread should quickly degenerate into an Android hate fest. That's so atypical for AppleInsider.   There is a lot of confusion about how Android updates work and when they're needed. KDarling is correct -- OS updates aren't needed for Google Apps updates. YouTube, Maps, Calendar, Street View, Search, Chrome, GMail, etc are updated independently of the OS. Likewise, the Google Apps Android APIs aren't part of Android itself and are updated...
Unfortunately, Akamai's stats are misleading. They don't properly identify Chrome for Android (and iOS) or Firefox for Android. They're counting Chrome for Android and iOS as desktop Chrome, and Firefox for Android as desktop Firefox. This was confirmed to me by an email from Akamai in December 2012.   Also, their stats don't rollup browsers based on OS. Lots of folks look at the "iOS vs Android" graph, see that the iOS line is higher and draw bad conclusions. The...
DED is mistaken -- TI is not killing OMAP5