or Connect

Posts by derekmorr

This is off-topic, but it's important to respond.Anyone is able to use Android in their products, and to modify it as they see fit. In this case, Alibaba introduced incompatible changes to Android. That's allowed. However, Acer announced they were going to ship a phone based on Alibaba, which they're not allowed to do since Acer is a member of the Open Handset Alliance. One of the goals of the OHA is to ship compatible Android phones (phones that pass the Android...
Hmm? This isn't the story that other Apple-related news sites are reporting. Mac Observer reports that while the iPhone 5 scores very well, it is beaten by the Nexus 7 and GSIII. http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/iphone-5-geekbench-results-show-150-increase-over-iphone-4s . See also http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks But more to the point -- I thought the consensus was that synthetic microbenchmarks don't really matter to consumers. I doubt that a...
  Actually Google has pretty good coverage of North America, Western Europe, and Australia. South America, Africa, and Asia need some work. They have a handy map you can reference: http://gmaps-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/streetview_landing/streetview-map.html
DED doesn't provide this part of Zuck's quote: “When I’m introspective about the last few years I think the biggest mistake that we made, as a company, is betting too much on HTML5 as opposed to native… because it just wasn’t there. And it’s not that HTML5 is bad. I’m actually, on long-term, really excited about it. One of the things that’s interesting is we actually have more people on a daily basis using mobile Web Facebook than we have using our iOS or Android apps...
The Atlantic just ran a story about how Street View is used to update Google Maps. In short, Google uses computer vision to identify street signs, speed limits, businesses, etc, and updates their maps. They use the GPS data from their cars to update road alignments. Their human editors use the data to verify updates. So even if you don't use Street View, you're probably using its side-effects.
Streetview is also useful to virtually explore the world, such as the Kennedy Space Center or shelters used by Antarctic explorers. The other day I was poking around inside the White House with Street View.   Frankly, I think Google has the best free mapping apps available. Maps has Street View, 45-degree oblique imagery (similar to Bing's Birds-Eye view), Streetview, internal building maps, walking, biking, and transit directions. Earth has 3D. There's no need to...
And the problem with thermonuclear war (and software patents) is that no one wins.
  Folks should also watch this: The Patent Pollution Problem, a talk by Dan Ravisher, Executive Director of the Public Patent Foundation. It's a great talk about why we have so many lousy, ridiculous patents. Folks should also read Bessen & Meurer's analysis of software patents in Patent Failure. Their chapter on software patents is freely available: http://researchoninnovation.org/dopatentswork/dopat9.pdf.     I really am amazed that so many commenters on here defend...
Huh? The Galaxy Pro is clearly not a feature phone. If you're going to call that a feature phone, then you'd have to call a BlackBerry a feature phone. That's not whining, it's just the truth.The Pantech Swift doesn't even run Android. It runs Brew. So I really have no idea what point you're trying to make here.This entire thead has been a waste of time. You don't have an argument. You hate Google, and you're just trying to smear their reputation with increasingly...
Uh, no. Just because an applicant has filed for a patent doesn't mean that the application is valid. The Patent Office denies patent applications all the time. Even for patents that are granted, many are subsequently invalidated or restricted in scope.Further, have you read the patent in question? It doesn't describe anything that's actually patentable. It's just a 10,000-foot level mess of hand-waving legalese. I'm simply dumbfounded that otherwise intelligent people are...