or Connect

Posts by derekmorr

I think there's some confusion regarding what the statistics are measuring. They're not just counting the total number of checkins. They're grouped by device. So, if I check the Play Store 50 times during a month from my Galaxy Nexus running ICS, it's counted as one hit for ICS, not 50. So it doesn't matter if users with newer devices checkin more often. As long as they checkin even once, they're counted.
None of that has anything to do with how often a device or user will query Google's servers to check for app updates, which is enough for a device to get counted in Google's Android distribution statistics. You claimed that ICS devices were over represented in the stats. I haven't heard an argument to support that claim.
  You've been able to submit fixes using Google's desktop version of Maps for a few years. For more intensive edits, you can use Map Maker - http://www.google.com/mapmaker. We've done quite a bit of crowd-sourced edits in my town, and they get added to Google's maps fairly quickly.
I don't think this is the case. Play is the old Android Market which is usable on all Google Android devices. If a user checks for app updates, they use Play, which queries Google's servers which updates the platform version stats. I really don't understand what you mean by saying it's not usable on older devices.
I think Google certainly knows how many devices query the Play Store every month, they just choose not to report that number.What is your basis for saying that ICS users are more likely to use Play?
Considering that the jailbreak has only been available for a few days, I'd say it's quite impressive.   My real point was to challenge the stereotype I see constantly on here - that most Android users are borderline autistic anti-social nerds who just hack their phones all day, while iOS users aren't interested in any of that. It's just not supported by evidence.
Today's iPhone reported that over 1.2 million iOS users have jailbroken their devices. So, apparently, a not insignificant number of iOS users want to customize their devce as well. Could we please stop the stereotyping?http://www.todaysiphone.com/2012/05/more-than-1-2-million-ios-devices-jailbroken-using-absinthe-2-0/
Actually, wouldn't it depend on the algorithm in question? Not all tasks can be parallelized. Amdahl's law bites.
A very interesting rumor. I can see why Google (and several of their users) would love to see Chrome on iOS. But given Apple's limitations for third-party apps, I wonder how crippled it would be. A few questions: * Could Chrome for iOS use its own WebKit, or would it have to use Apple's? * Could it use its own v8 Javascript engine? * Could it be made the default browser? * How well could background-sync'ing work, given Apple's restrictions on background...
There's a little more information on their new Atom SoCs here: http://semiaccurate.com/2012/05/11/intel-outs-merrifield-and-6331/