or Connect

Posts by cubefan

Why would we ever see Flash?, its a resource hog, and opens the door to ANY flash software no matter how indifferent the application- enabling Flash is a gateway to losing control of the platform and that's not going to happen.
What a joke, ever seen an IBM green screen 3270 terminal? or a Tektronix Graphics terminal dating from the '70s. Somebody needs to get a life. The next thing will be claiming against the inventor of the Newtonian telescope, trouble is he died several hundred years ago. Patents are for physical ideas, not software, IMHO
In the UK some banks, mine included, have secondary authentication beyond card number and security ID from the back of the card. Many transactions result in a pop-up window which requires a password. Strong Security and reliability are key to any solution, especially in banking apps. Billions of transactions take place every day with very close to 100% reliability. Unfortunately scammers will always find ways of trying to grab your card and security details, its a...
I think post 29 summarises it neatly, coffin chasing lawyers.... truly pathetic..Actually Ethernet does NOT use the same protocols as Wireless Ethernet, Wireless Ethernet was still in the Ether when the original Ethernet patents were approved. Shared Ethernet use CSMA/CD 802.3 protocols and access control, switched Ethernet networks DON'T. Its probably fair to say practically nobody uses shared media networks based on 802.3 CSMA/CD. Nevertheless, WiFi is probably...
Actually I beg to differ, Microsoft's purpose these days is to prop up the share price, the X-Box is a loss leader with the sole intent of dominating the gaming market by giving away the hardware, driven by exclusivity on a game, supported by the revenue stream of millions of gamers parting with 5 dollars or 5 pounds sterling a month, whatever the price is, when its multiplied by millions at a true cost of close to zero (running a few servers to provide the...
If you think an iPhone is big and heavy, try an HTC TYTN II, that IS BIG and HEAVY. The iPhone by comparison is just brilliant, slips into a pocket no problem.Bottom line is, SJ is a genius, he thinks as a customer would think, looks at it like a customer looks at something, expects and demands the best in everything. I've written it before in a post and I'll write it again, aluminium body, tough and robust, if you drop it you'd cry. Macbook Air = great prototype, ...
Lets face it WinCE / Windows mobile suck. Period. Am speaking from experience here. And for the record, the max capacity of an iPod touch has been 32gig since gen1 touch release. Am using one to write this post and it's 18 months old
Must try the cool approach with my defective shuffle, inexpensive - perhaps, irreplacable - definitely, underused - absolutely. A 50th birthday present, it has died after not being used / charged for a few weeks - I use an iPod touch most of the time but the shuffle is out of warranty :-( am hoping it can be resurrected.
Its taken me an hour to read all the posts on this thread, but its been worth it, all the technology, products and patents are converging: a bit of background first tho: I have one of those so-called Windows smartphones, WM6 powered, the hardware is ok, far too big, but the OS is rubbish, I have hardly used it, ever. My other half has an iPhone which does more, in a smaller form factor which is easier to hold and use, lovely To the future: I have an iPod touch, I...
Design and consistency takes EFFORT, it requires OWNERSHIP and accountability. A strong design team led from the top makes this happen, I may be sad and be able to name the leaders of Apples' design team but that's because the stuff looks great, feels great and generally works great. The UI in OS X forces a degree of consistency Windows cannot offer, loads of websites have copied round ended blue buttons, that's imitation - paying homage to something that looks good and...