or Connect

Posts by mfryd

Our memories differ.   My recollection was that you could not buy the iPhone with cash.   A credit card was required, as was a data plan.    $30/month got you unlimited AT&T data.   I still have that $30 AT&T unlimited data plan, but now it is on my iPhone 5s.   I switched from Sprint to get the iPhone and the 2 year AT&T contract was required.
Apple is not offering the "most expensive iPhone ever." The iPhone 6 128GB is $499 with a 2 year contract. When the original iPhone first came out it was $599 with a 2 year contract.
Amazon and other authorized retailers still have old Mac Minis in stock. Amazon lists the Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III for $426, and claims the list price is $500.
You might be better off buying old stock of the quad core i7 version, and spending $450 on a third party 1TB SSD, and 16GB of third party RAM.
The primary is how bandwidth on the cable is divided.  Thunderbolt 1 dedicates 50% to video and 50% to data.  Thunderbolt 2 allows variable allocation so the data channel can take advantage of unused bandwidth on the video channel. Thunderbolt 1 devices can be plugged into a Thunderbolt 2 port. By the way, mini display port monitors are another example of a device that can only go on the end of a thunderbolt daisy chain.
You need two ports because some Thunderbolt devices have only one port, and need to go at the end of the chain.  Apple's Firewire adapter is one example.
I wouldn't think the GPU would be much of a help for a server machine.  The monitor doesn't really get used much. For a server machine, I am not sure of the breakdown.  The new Mini has a 15% faster clock speed, and a newer generation processor.   My old Mini has four i7 cores vs. two i7 cores in the new Mini. For use as a general purpose server (web, mail, etc.) will the new machine give me better performance?    As a server, I don't need the fastest execution on a single...
The new mini is only available with a dual core processor.  My old mini is a quad core i7.   I suspect my old mini is faster than these new minis.
Google makes money by serving up targeted ads. The more they know about you, the more precisely they can target. Better targeting means they can charge more. Currently they build their profiles on people by reading your email, tracking your web browsing, monitoring your online purchases, and tracking your phone's location. I can imagine how excited they are now that own a company that builds Internet enabled sensors for home use. The Nest thermostat knows when you...
Here's my opinion. Prior to Apple entering the market, Amazon had a virtual monopoly on e-books. Amazon sold e-book below cost, effectively preventing competitors from entering the market. Apple entered the market and created actual competition. Once Amazon lost their monopoly position, publishers were free to raise their prices. The Fed's position seems to be that Apple broke the law because it knew, and acknowledged that prices would likely go up, once Amazon...