or Connect

Posts by mfryd

Google makes money by serving up targeted ads. The more they know about you, the more precisely they can target. Better targeting means they can charge more. Currently they build their profiles on people by reading your email, tracking your web browsing, monitoring your online purchases, and tracking your phone's location. I can imagine how excited they are now that own a company that builds Internet enabled sensors for home use. The Nest thermostat knows when you...
Here's my opinion. Prior to Apple entering the market, Amazon had a virtual monopoly on e-books. Amazon sold e-book below cost, effectively preventing competitors from entering the market. Apple entered the market and created actual competition. Once Amazon lost their monopoly position, publishers were free to raise their prices. The Fed's position seems to be that Apple broke the law because it knew, and acknowledged that prices would likely go up, once Amazon...
Most states do require shoppers to pay sales tax on purchases from Amazon. The issue is that states don't have the authority to make Amazon handle the collection. Consumers are responsible for remitting the tax in their own. States have little ability to enforce this and most consumers ignore (or are unaware) of the requirement to pay sales tax (sometimes called "use tax")on all internet purchases. Similarly, a shopper who crosses a state line to buy at a lower tax...
I wonder what features Apple will drop with the new OS? Will 10.9 be the first release that only runs software from the App store? Will it mean the end of security updates for Intel Macs that can't run Mountain Lion? Will a trackpad be required? Apple giveth, and Apple taketh away...
Apple has lot's of experience running software compiled for one platform on another. OS-X is designed with the idea that applications can be compiled for different architectures and appropriate bridge software is automatically used for non-native applications. The glue software is architecture specific. It needs to be re-written (or discontinued) before Apple moves to a new architecture. The original Mac was 68K based. When Apple switched to PPC they included software...
  When the market switched to DVDs the capability for consumers to record did not exist.   Recordable DVD technology came in at a later date, and most consumers cannot easily record from TV to a blank DVD  (by "easily" I mean by pressing a record button - which is all you needed to do with a VCR).   I never said that overall DVD's were a step backward, I merely said that in addition to the advantages (including better quality) there were some disadvantages.   Why do...
  I never said vinyl was better than CD (although many people believe this to be true).  What I said was that change has both advantages and disadvantages.  Do you disagree?  Is your assertion that all change is always an advantage for all people?   Yes, there are audio formats better the CD.  They are not popular.  More music is not sold as lossy compressed files in a format that is lower quality than CD.  Yes better is available, but the cost and convenience of music...
  Please don't take my word for it.  Do some research on the taste of tomatoes.  Most people prefer the old tomatoes to the new (and yes there are a minority of people who prefer the new).   Most people can't record DVD's.  When the format was first released, there was no recordable consumer solution.  My point is that people have given up one thing for another.  With DVDs, people have given up record capability for quality.   Latency has a tremendous affect on...
    Yes. A traditional landline channel uses a 64K dedicated digital channel from your central office to the central office on the other end (possibly on the other side of the country).  The dedicated channel guarantees signal quality, guarantees the bits are delivered in the proper proper order, and minimizes latency.  A VOIP long distance call has higher latency, no guarantee of consistent latency, and available bandwidth may vary throughout the call.  On the other...
  We do know that Apple has announced that they want to rid their machines of legacy ports, magnetic hard drives and optical drives.   We know that Apple loves to control the whole process, and they have in-house expertise in designing ARM chips.   We know that Apple has OS X running on ARM (although they call it iOS).   We know that Apple has said that they are moving to make the Mac Experience more iOS like.   We know that Apple makes far more revenue and profit from...