or Connect

Posts by 4miler

Recently my iPhone and I were caught in a torrential downpour soaking me to the core, and the iPhone was drenched. The phone was in a bag, but the bag got soaked through. Naturally the water-damage repair was not covered by AppleCare. The Apple Genius confirmed that the iPhone has sensors that detect whether there has been water ingress - presumably so Apple knows whether to cover it with AppleCare, or whether to make us pay extra money. I suggest to Apple that - rather...
A possible scernario: Windows 8 makes a marginal hit, but given the 95+% marketshare of Windows, it is a significant impact to the market. In parallel, Nokia brings out its Windows Phones. Now, all you Apple people out there, the big thing to note is that Microsoft and Nokia don't have to produce markedly superior products to beat Apple at the numbers game. Microsoft and Nokia have to just produce something that is adequate for most people's needs. So it's possible that a...
My reasons for not updating to Lion, and even thinking of skipping Lion totally: - I want to have control of when I save documents, and sometimes decide NOT to save a document. I want a SAVE AS feature which I use a lot. - I have a few Rosette apps - Reports are that Lion is still buggy - Snow Leopard is ultra stable - Nothing in Lion attracts me to upgrade - the online installation sucks. I want to have a clear-cut system that enables me to restore if...
It's quite possible that if/when Windows 8 takes off among people that need content-creation pads, rather than one primarily focused on content-consumption, there may be a halo-effect where people will be attracted to Windows phone. I'm a Mac and iPhone fan, but when I checked out the Windows phone at the shops, I thought it looked decent. Nokia realised that to succeed in the smartphone wars, it needs developers to create apps, and it realised it did not have a hope...
It's not the software. It's the iPad's lack of a keyboard. For writing a few quick couple of paragraphs to record ideas, I find the iPhone perfect for that. And it fits in my pocket. I use Simplenote, and it does what you described above, more or less. I like how Windows 8 tablet can pretty much function as a portable fully-fledged Windows 8 computer. Many GenY people don't seem to need that, but for business users and professionals, that would be something to think about...
There are two opposite paradigms, and depending on which one you're from, you'll either love or hate Windows 8 for tablet. Speaking as a Mac user since the 512K Mac, and being a Mac evangelist for all of that time -- I actually am enthusiastic about Windows 8 for tablet. Here's why. Apple has said that it aims for simplicity in its iPad, and that iPad is more for content-consumption than content creation. Therefore, if you're mostly a content-consumer -- a few emails,...
Either Microsoft or Google Android should just buy up the WebOS team and IP, more likely Google. It'd be exciting if Google bought up the WebOS hardware side as well and integrated it with its Motorola hardware capability. That would really give Google soms guns to tackle Apple. As Apple fans, we all know that Apple needs competition, otherwise Apple is even worse than Bill Gates when he was at his worst.
Back to topic. I was furious when I read Apple's legal action against HyperMac. I have a long-life HyperMac battery. Said to last around 10-12 hours. If Apple does not allow other manufacturers to make these products for the Mac -- and Apple does not -- then it is just plain spitefulness. There's going to come a day, possibly in the next iteration of Windows, then Windows -- which might not be AS good as OSX -- but it's good enough. I might hop off the train.
I just wanted an OSX tiny netbook with keyboard. Sure, no great leap in innovation -- but very useful for helping me get things done. I'm not getting an iPad. Plus, I do not want to type on glass when doing serious work for lengthy periods -- and likewise, when creating content, I don't like a keyboard that takes up half the screen. If I want something portable to consume information, the iPhone does that, and it fits in my pocket.
You've gotta be kidding. Like Apple did their research that told them to remove Firewire from the MacBook -- and only after the outcry, they bring Firewire back in the latest MacBook? Apple takes on the persona of its founder, Steve Jobs. The TIME magazine article indicates Steve is a dictator, and does not take kindly to people who differ with his opinions.