or Connect

Posts by TimmyDax

Yes! What else could they shovel in? Textures? Loads and loads of markup? Giant images optimised for a full-screen retina display? What else could possibly be in there? Unless there's no reading or interpretation of the file by iBooks at all... as in it is actually completely self-contained, including generic redundant code for all "textbook" features? But that's crazy talk, right?
Sorry, I don't know where your information is coming from, but Google's and Amazon's tablets are 8GB. The average price for real, for-profit electronics manufacturer's 16GB tablets is around $349. That's no premium at all, in fact.Edit: £349 instead of $349!
That's amazing. What on earth are Apple doing!?! Embedded fonts?I'm voting ePub and describing my diagrams!True. Although maybe out of necessity rather than preference? The large screen size is always going to be preferable for most though, you're right.
A £329 is possible, but is it necessary? Apple will only lose profit out of necessity; will Apple sell tons more at £299 rather than £349? No. But it may have to compromise on quality. $299 or under attempts to compete with Ama/Goog, and probably at 8GB with them. That's not where Apple wants to go, nor needs to. They also need to keep prices roughly in line with their other products or risk devaluing them. Current 16GB 7-inchers are...
OMF. One would think Pages, iBooks, not that different? Wow. That is incredible. What if it were ePub, presumably would be a tad smaller? That sort of increase in size does seem completely unjustifiable, true. Thanks
Could lose a little screen size for a lot of weight for those little hands, little arms etc. though!
WTF!?! That's either incredibly graphically and media-rich or incredibly stupid.These books, they're mainly text, right? Books of text should not be that big.
Depends: iBooks or just-huge-image-files Adobe-esque "books"?iBooks for reading assignments could be very small indeed, and most rich media (in UK at least) is already served from school/college intranet sites, moodle etc.An 8GB iPad "mini" is definitely a long shot, but in education it's the interaction that wins them over, not the portability (ie. presumed WiFi may be practical - iTunes U tools can be used, for interaction purposes portability is obviously maintained)
So true. As far as I've got:iPod N : £129 (16GB) $149iPod 4 : £169 (16GB) $199iPod 4 : £199 (32GB) $249iPod 5 : £249 (32GB) $299iPod 5 : £329 (64GB) $399iPad M : £299 (16GB) $349iPad M : £379 (32GB) $449iPad M : £459 (64GB) $549iPad 2 : £329 (16GB) $399iPad 3 : £399 (16GB) $499iPad 3 : £479 (32GB) $599iPad 3 : £559 (64GB) $699I can't believe this isn't the most sensible, appley pricing structure.We can see the it coming in below the iPad 2, whether they keep it or not, and...
With the just-introduced iPod touch going for $299@32GB, the only way we're getting a $299 iPad "mini" is at 8GB. And that seems like a huge compromise considering it (i) cuts into the iPod touch pricing bracket and (ii) is still $100 more than non-profit 8GB models from Amazon, Google etc. More likely is a 16GB $349 model, which is equivalent to most 16GB models out there atm. The link below is quite a good reference for the current 7-inch-ish (android)...