or Connect

Posts by TimmyDax

America aside, it is up to the discretion and wisdom of the judge as to whether he/she believes ongoing or foreign cases have any bearing. Despite our "established court system" in the UK, previous case rulings establish that particular judge as rather odd. Never mind the easily-appealed ruling. IMO it would be wise to look at precedents from all over the world when it comes to rather rare cases like these.Oh shit. Thread over!
Problem is all the 16GB 7-inchers from HTC, Samsung, Dell, RIM etc. introduced in the last year or so have all plummeted in price - but pretty much all were introduced at around $349 - ie. this is the level at which they would be making a profit. They haven't. So comparing a probably leading Apple device to these failures at sale prices is kinda absurd. As is comparing them to Amazon/Google, who, we know, make zero profit on theirs. My figures may be out of date, but...
Agreed. The original Fire has only just been released over here in the UK, and I think I probably got confused - for some reason I thought you got quite a lot less than 16GB in the new one too?I was attempting to state how the $199 price point (or anywhere close) is ridiculously unrealistic for Apple, or any electronics company who need to make profit on hardware, at least for the time being. Amazon & Google are in a battle for the barrel scrapings, and noone in their...
Yes! What else could they shovel in? Textures? Loads and loads of markup? Giant images optimised for a full-screen retina display? What else could possibly be in there? Unless there's no reading or interpretation of the file by iBooks at all... as in it is actually completely self-contained, including generic redundant code for all "textbook" features? But that's crazy talk, right?
Sorry, I don't know where your information is coming from, but Google's and Amazon's tablets are 8GB. The average price for real, for-profit electronics manufacturer's 16GB tablets is around $349. That's no premium at all, in fact.Edit: £349 instead of $349!
That's amazing. What on earth are Apple doing!?! Embedded fonts?I'm voting ePub and describing my diagrams!True. Although maybe out of necessity rather than preference? The large screen size is always going to be preferable for most though, you're right.
A £329 is possible, but is it necessary? Apple will only lose profit out of necessity; will Apple sell tons more at £299 rather than £349? No. But it may have to compromise on quality. $299 or under attempts to compete with Ama/Goog, and probably at 8GB with them. That's not where Apple wants to go, nor needs to. They also need to keep prices roughly in line with their other products or risk devaluing them. Current 16GB 7-inchers are...
OMF. One would think Pages, iBooks, not that different? Wow. That is incredible. What if it were ePub, presumably would be a tad smaller? That sort of increase in size does seem completely unjustifiable, true. Thanks
Could lose a little screen size for a lot of weight for those little hands, little arms etc. though!
WTF!?! That's either incredibly graphically and media-rich or incredibly stupid.These books, they're mainly text, right? Books of text should not be that big.