or Connect

Posts by sflocal

I don't get it here. I bought some "Oakley" sunglasses for $5 from a street vendor in downtown Bangkok years ago. A few hours later while boarding the plane to go home, they broke. They just snapped. $5 for a few hours of use down the drain. Now, somewhere in China, a "corporation" built those crappy knockoffs. I knew I wasn't getting the real thing. Corporations like those don't care about their products being safe or useful. I wanted something cheap and I got...
This reminds me of an incident a while back at a client-site.  A tech approached me complaining that his tablet couldn't connect to the WiFi network.  The tablet he handed me was some cheap-shit Chinese knockoff-tablet that with the exception of it being all plastic, looked like an iPad.  Cheapa$$ bought it online for $60.  The tablet was so painful to use, it was more an old palm-pilot tactile-style screen than a "touch" screen.  After an hour of troubleshooting, I gave...
I think had Samsung gotten to its position by actually doing their own research and development instead of hijacking Apple's IP, things would be different.  HTC is a perfect example.  I actually wish HTC did better, but I think they were a victim of Samsung's predatory practices.  The other players would still have come out with their own phablets anyways methink.On one hand, I credit Xiaomi for stealing Samsung's thunder and frankly, hitting them where it hurts.  On the...
I fail to see what the big deal this 4K video hype is.  We've had 1080p for years and as far as I'm concerned, that is still in its infancy, especially where TV cable goes.  Comcast (for example) advertises HD-level channels, yet the quality is so bad due to video-compression. There are no 4K TV sets, and for most folks a 4K-capable monitor is still just a dream.  There is absolutely no infrastructure out there (in the US) capable of supporting the scale necessary to...
So can I start a company (GT) using other people's money (Apple), burn through it all, take whatever is left and run with it, then the people I screwed can go after the people that gave me the money?   Where do I sign up for this sweet deal?!
And I would think that similar advancements in the full-frame arena are ongoing as well.  No matter how good phone cameras get, there will always be a market for high-end professional-level cameras, and the consumers prepared to pay for it. Either way, I'm looking forward to what the next 5 years brings in this area!
As a very happy, and heavy-user of a dSLR camera (Canon 5DM3), Apple will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands before I ever give it up.  The only way an iPhone camera will rival full-frame dSLR cameras is if the camera makers stop all advancements from this point forward. That being said, anything that improves the quality of iPhone cameras, I'm all for it.  It's just too convenient. People saying that phone cameras will rival full-frame SLR photos is just smoking...
And why not?  It's nice to see someone of his caliber out there when push comes to shove.  I thought it was a great segment.
This was a Digitimes article no? 
I understand your point of view.  I'm one of those semi-heavy Windows users and running it on my Mac(s) is a must-have as I flat-out refuse to use any other non-Apple platform.  The reality is (for now) the mainstream enterprise market is primarily Windows.  That's the ugly truth.  Keeping the Macs x86-compatibility give me (us) the best of both worlds.  To this day, I still surprise people when they realize my Mac runs windows.  They never knew, and frankly, Apple (or...